Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law picked up a cheap family car after selling his 3/4 ton truck... pretty ho-hum base model ride until his native american neighbor gave him the stocker's (225 60 18) off his 300C (there's a black hole thread in that statement somewhere).




it's still a base model lacking even a cd player, but it looks pretty sweet :thumbup:

a.s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
Thats a lot of rubber on that car. Does it ride like a Boat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,541 Posts
aschendel said:
there's a black hole thread in that statement somewhere
:lol:
I was thinking the same thing man.

It does look better but those tires are NUTS! What was the stock size and how off is his speedometer/odometer now? Damn that's like a 15% increase in circumfrence!
 

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
Joined
·
9,983 Posts
Spirare said:
It does look better but those tires are NUTS! What was the stock size and how off is his speedometer/odometer now? Damn that's like a 15% increase in circumfrence!
It's a 7.4% increase in rolling circumference, assuming that the stock wheel/tire package on the Intrepid is a 225/60-16 (and according to TireRack.com, it is).

aschendel - Tell your bro (in-law) that without any changes to his speedometer, when it says 60mph, he's really going 64.5mph. If I'm wrong about the stock tire size, that will change slightly.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Input the stock size first. Then the new 225/60-18 wheels. At the bottom of the page, it'll tell you how far off your speedo will be. Also, he's now sitting two whol inches higher than he was with the old wheels. :yikes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,541 Posts
traubenberg said:
It's a 7.4% increase in rolling circumference, assuming that the stock wheel/tire package on the Intrepid is a 225/60-16 (and according to TireRack.com, it is).

aschendel - Tell your bro (in-law) that without any changes to his speedometer, when it says 60mph, he's really going 64.5mph. If I'm wrong about the stock tire size, that will change slightly.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Input the stock size first. Then the new 225/60-18 wheels. At the bottom of the page, it'll tell you how far off your speedo will be. Also, he's now sitting two whol inches higher than he was with the old wheels. :yikes:
Thanks man! That's cool stuff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
60 profile on 18's!!!???

Yikes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, he thought it was close to 5mph over when he went through one of those "Your speed is:" radar things. though i think it had 15" steelies on it when he got it (according to tire rack that's a possibility) but it could have been 16", not sure... that calculator is sweet! 8.9% off if it had 205/70-15 to start.

i agree, it is a ton of rubber and maybe when he's worn these out he'll get a lower profile tire on them. i drove it to pick them up at the airport the other day, and it drove ok. i like how they fill up the wheelwells w/o having to lower it. more risk (weight, rubbing, hubs/bearings, gearing, power-steering, cost for new rubber) than i could stomach i think, but that's easy to say when it's not mine :p

a.s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
I had a '98 ES with 16's that did not handle worth a squirt in either rain or snow. How are you going to keep that boat under control when the flakes start flyin' and you're wearing 18's? Garage it?

Just curious.
 

·
My pornstar name came up "Jay the Snork."
Joined
·
5,611 Posts
I was under the impression that 300C's came with the 5x112 bolt pattern, like the old mercedes E-class chassis they are built on, but apparently not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah, i think you guys are right that they were off a charger (pretty sure though not a magnum). i know for sure they're not from his wife's new Q7 ;)

GreggD said:
I had a '98 ES with 16's that did not handle worth a squirt in either rain or snow. How are you going to keep that boat under control when the flakes start flyin' and you're wearing 18's? Garage it?

Just curious.
not sure what he'll do, but i doubt he'll switch back as the old tires were pretty much worn out. at least these have tread on them.

a.s.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top