Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
You are able to replace the gasket, but you will need access to the antenna base from inside the car. Which means you need to drop the headliner to gain the access.

I bought my gasket from Potter at parts4vws.com.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
dbrick said:
Is the oval antenna base gasket replaceable without removing the base? Is the gasket available as a replacement item?
the rubber ring is replaceable without removing the base if you do it carefully, starting at one end, and using a small screwdriver (and a lot of finesse) to guide it around the base.

The gasket itself isn't available separately, AFAIK, but can be found as part of a repair kit, i believe.

Try this:
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=1H0051753

:wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
The small gasket is replaceable without removing the entire base. I've done it twice on my '99. :( Darn heat down here in Texas! :mad: The first time I used a B5 gasket given to me by a friend that has a salvage yard and the second time I found out that the gasket for a Jetta is available by itself from the dealer. The rake of the antenna is a little bit different on a Jetta so the gasket is a little different too. You need to trim the inside of the gasket a bit and then use a credit card (or small screwdriver) to get it down around the base.

Here is the base without the gasket(duh)

Here's what the Passat gasket looks like

And here is the Jetta gasket that I THOUGHT I DIDN'T WANT.

You can see the little bit that needs to be trimmed from the inside bottom of the jetta gasket. It's easy and the whole install process took about 15 mins.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, vwfool2000. I was just about to reinstall the original now-split one with a bunch of silicone sealant, but the Jetta gasket looks quite do-able, and I expect it'll be less expensive than the $27 + shipping they want for the whole kit from parts4vws.com.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the dealer this afternoon, and the parts guy couldn't find the separate Jetta gasket in the parts EKTA. Any clue about what year or model Jetta it might be?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
BAH! The part number is under my post in the part number thing in the group buys section. Get it from Liberty VW and mention the club b5 discount. I hope they still value that. They'll do it for like 18 + shipping (that was my quote, i forgot what they charged). Then you just have to force the thing on and wait for it to strech until you can snap it on completely. I didn't use a screw driver. No scratches, no regrets. Tough on the finger tips though.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No luck at the dealer. So this afternoon, I cleaned the roof and the old gasket (which had split at the back on its centerline), smeared some RTF silicone seal on the bottom (part that sits on the car) and in the interior groove (into which fits the metal base of the antenna), and smooshed it into place. Then I put a bit more RTF in the gap at the back end where the gasket had split. A wet fingertip smoothed everything out. It's good to go for another x years...and I didn't have to send $5 + tax and shipping to Anaheim, either. OTOH, if I'd checked in a learned about it earlier, I probably would have bought it. Oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
dbrick
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing