Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my airbox got smashed in my accident and insurance allows me $300 to replace it. should i buy the stock box and mod it again and another k&n panel filter or should i just buy the evo motorsports intake with the heatshield???

·
Registered
446 Posts
buy the evoms intake, and run some hose from the bottom grille up under the filter...works like a charm and the DV is louder :thumbup: always a plus!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have to second the vote for the EVO intake, but customize the heat shield like the one in the a recent group buy.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used a turbo wrap kit from summit, and some header wrap from my down pipe and heatshielded all my fuel lines and air hoses. i dont think the difference in heat will be a big issue. i can of course fab a better heat shield with the evoms intake and def run some air hoses. my old box i removed screen and cut the seperating flap into the box. also i removed the round flap at the bottom of the airbox and cut a hole through the passenger side fender liner so it doesnt pull in hot air from the turbo/cat area with a k&n panel filter. i think i'm going with the evo intake. where is the best place to buy one?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
FastLane said:
Make sure you put any stickers that come with the EVO kit on the rear window. That way you are sure to get another 10-15HP out of it.
it's true. I thought my car handled great after putting the neuspeed springs and bilstein sport shocks on. It handled like a dream after I finished up by puting the neuspeed stickers on. :lol:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
our fellow member Geri measured temp and mass of air
temp is only 1 degree C higher than outside of car :thumbup:
and "thing" is sucking approx. 15% more air
if you want give a call to David Flesh from www.westcoastspeed.com
Copy of Geri's mail after taking measure
"Yes, BMC is realy fantastic! As I said, never had such good amounts on
MAF. You have to know that with the OEM Intake you wont have more then 145-150mg/H at high REVs (measured at two differnet OEM V6s). With the K&N Kone by best ever was a 164mg/H, now I can reach this amount in even low REVs when accelerating. By best amount now is 174mg/H - and this with my old MAF Sensor (the newer one is still on K&N Cone, will change soon). And Airintake-temperature is nearly like outside Temp, only 1 or 2 Deg higher. With OEM Intake you will have about 5 Deg higher Temp than outside. With K&N the Temp was at high Revs about 15 Deg higher than outside. I was told that a decrease of 10 Deg results in a plus of 3% more Power.....*ggg* In this case OEM Intake is not sooo bad."

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'll definately look into it, and I appreciate the recommendation Nenad. First, I want to try for the crank pulley. If all goes well, in time, my B5 will be sportin' a BMC. I like those results. Is it possible you could post a picture of the filter inside the canister? My old '96 ranger had a canister like that, and I'm starting to get a junkyard idea.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
B5V6 said:
I'll definately look into it, and I appreciate the recommendation Nenad. First, I want to try for the crank pulley. If all goes well, in time, my B5 will be sportin' a BMC. I like those results. Is it possible you could post a picture of the filter inside the canister? My old '96 ranger had a canister like that, and I'm starting to get a junkyard idea.
I do not have pics of it, but you can check on www.westcoastspeed.com and on www.bmcairfilters.com for pics they have them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Is the cda85-150k-p the bmc intake that I would want for my 01' v6? its the only one that comes up when I do the search on westcoastspeed.com, but it says its for a vr6 passat. the bmc definately sounds like a better set up than the evo intake, and its actually cheaper I think.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
mackman said:
Is the cda85-150k-p the bmc intake that I would want for my 01' v6? its the only one that comes up when I do the search on westcoastspeed.com, but it says its for a vr6 passat. the bmc definately sounds like a better set up than the evo intake, and its actually cheaper I think.
Yes, point that it is for VR6 is nothing because BMC is dividing their CDA in 2 groups up to 1600 cc and over 1600 cc of engine volume. Difference between different cars is in lenght of intake hose and in holder of CDA.
Mine CDA is excatly for VR-6. Exit opening from CDA is matching perfectly our MAF, as you can see on pic from my car. You can also buy extra connector (square flange) for MAF but in that case you must trim it otherwise you will not fit CDA in engine compartment. Even without that fit is VERY tight. I used primitive way to conect them with screws slightly screwd in CDA box. Better option is connector but you must cut biggest part of his pipe side. It is easy.
If you want give call to David Flash from WCS reffer on me and probably he will give you good conditions.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
i only see a kit for the v6 passat. do they have one for the 1.8t?
It is same kit like for V6. BMC is dividing their CDA in 2 groups up to 1600 cc and over 1600 cc. Go to www.bmcairfilters.com and check all sizes that they have and check diameter of your MAF opening so you can be sure what CDA you will buy 70-130,70-150,85-150,etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
Nenad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing