Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got into an accident in end of june....the woman rear-ended me. The dilemma started when I got the back bumper changed....and the autobody shop changed my battery as well. I've had the car since saturday and the Stearing wheel is really hard to stear...i mean i can stear it but with two hands....and the brake pedal takes a lot more power to be pushed in. What can be causing this issue? thnx for ur help!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So I got into an accident in end of june....the woman rear-ended me. The dilemma started when I got the back bumper changed....and the autobody shop changed my battery as well. I've had the car since saturday and the Stearing wheel is really hard to stear...i mean i can stear it but with two hands....and the brake pedal takes a lot more power to be pushed in. What can be causing this issue? thnx for ur help!
You didn't drive away from the shop in that condition, did you? Or did it just start this stuff today? Also, did they chaNge or chaRge your battery?:confused:

Not scolding or nagging, just need more info.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sounds like you have no power steering or power brakes.

Why would you need a new battery after a rear end collision?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't drive away from the shop in that condition, did you? Or did it just start this stuff today? Also, did they chaNge or chaRge your battery?:confused:

Not scolding or nagging, just need more info.
it felt ok at first until i brought the car home and drove for a longer period of time.

change.....because the previous battery was dead.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't think those systems are controlled by fuses or relays are they? Maybe an aux belt snapped??? Is your A/C working?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Check the rigid vacuum hose that goes through the front firewall to power the brake booster. Look for cracks.

Make sure the serpentine belt isn't slipping.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
the power steering and brakes are powered by two separate units on my car - a manual 5 speed 99 B5 with a V6. not sure about yours...
however, you haven't told us ANYTHING that you've done to try to isolate the problem, nor have you told us what year/make/engine you have (altho from your screen name, I think we can assume you have a 2003 Passat) - the only thing you've done is posted you have a problem, and then given us :banghead: when noone has posted a solution in less than 24 hrs.

have you checked the fluid levels on the power steering pump and the master brake cylinder? have you checked all your fuses (not that I think these matter)? have you checked the hoses coming off your power steering pump to see if they are connected and intact?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
IMHO You are holding back something. Help us to help you.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
Maybe they were nice enough to top off your p/s fluid with the wrong fluid!

They may have screwed up the brake vacuum booster by leaning on the vacuum lines while pulling the battery out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts