Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, new on this site. I have a 98 1.8T wagon with tip-tronic that I'm driving but have started to have problems hence the reason for joining this site. Hopefully I can gain some knowledge to get this thing working right again.

Steve

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,167 Posts
Welcome to Passat :earth:! I've got a '99 sedan 1.8T auto. Good Luck getting the issues sorted out and fixed. :thumbup:

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
You joined to fix the problems, but you will not leave once they are fixed, guaranteed. You will mod this car. I repeat, you WILL mod this car. Understand? :p

WELCOME!! I'm not from Canada, but I tend to post in here a lot.

WOOT! 1500th post :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up two more passats this past week to use for parts. the red one is a 98 1.8t manual shift and the black sedan is a 2000 2.8v6 tiptronic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bluebayou,

It seems I can't PM until I have 5 posts. I haven't gone through the cars yet so I'm not sure what I'm actual keeping or scrapping. Although it looks like the red car will be scrapped because I need the ABS. The black 99 had the timing belt installed incorrectly so I'm thinking of repairing it, if it is not to costly. It is also in excellent overall shape ,kind of a sin to teminate its existance.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Welcome to PW bfm244! Nice to see another canuck on board! 3 Passats in one household? Wow! I wish I have one extra b5.5 to cannibalize when i need parts... Its not like I can just swap some parts from my dad's daily driven B5.5 without him noticing. lol

Parting out the 2 sedans for parts? mrgreek2002 will love you especially for the black one!

btw, it all starts with fixing something then modding comes right after. From there, there's no turning back :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just happened to come across the two sedans and I usually like to have spare cars for anything I drive. I had a 91 Passat wagon, I think it was a B3, that I still have but it has been put into the pasture. I scrapped a 92 B3 sedan for parts to keep it going. Normally I drive Golf/Jetta Mk2, but we needed something bigger to fit the dog (great Dane) hence the B5 wagon. It's a nice car to drive but I find it a pig to repair. Way to many computers! I doubt any mods will occur to any of the vw cars I own. These are just the daily drivers, I have other hobby cars that soak up the financial resources.
Anyway it good to see there are plenty of people on this site that I can bounce repair ideas off. I got a feeling I'm going to need them.

·
9,018 Posts
Well, let me know if I can grab anything from you, I'm not desperate and don't care either way. I'll be up in Canada mid march, hopefully, if all works out.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
BlueBayou you are now an official Canadian ;):lol: so tell customs that I said so when you get to the border LOL hey man nice passats holy shit I wish I had just one parts car and those look in really good shape too. Like BB I'd be in if you have any parts you wanna sell I'm looking for a few things and shipping from you will be cheaper than the states so let me know. The passat is a little repair happy at first but I've found with mine that once you fix the issues it's all regular maintenance and oil changes. What year and mileage? AutoRX it yet? What kind of troubles are you having?

·
9,018 Posts
Thanks for the official citizenship! :) Guess I don't need my passport anymore :lol: Ok, I might. But once I come visit, I will be Canadian.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HI 2L_Dub_PimP

I had the red 98 in the garage today looking it over. The front control arms and tie rod ends are gone on the drivers side, good on the passengers side
(replaced 2 years ago from reciepts I found in the glove box). The engine and gear box seem to run okay, the guy I bought it from was using it daily. I have pretty much committed to scrapping this car. I need several things off the car for my wagon. If there is something you are intersted in let me kow. I'll see what kind of shape it is in. The black sedan I'm going to try and repair. If it is beyond reasonable repair costs it will be scrapped also. That car is in super shape, engine (2.8 V6)has had the timing belt slip.

My wagon is having CCm problems, struts need replacing, and ABS module is gone. Other than that its a great running car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts