Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a mechanics stethoscope to determine which control arm is creaking? If I try to push down on my car, I don't get the creaking noise but when use a long 4x4 wood post to raise and lower the right front corner of my car (a few inches), I can hear the control arm(s) creaking. The control arm bushings look good so I would like to determine which arm is making the noise. I haven't tried using a stethoscope yet but I'm hoping that might help or some of you may have advice on the subject.

The passenger side, upper rear-ward arm bushing was creaking and cracked so I replaced only that arm because the other arm bushings look good. Since I was only replacing the one arm, I realized that I could unbolt the arm and replace it without removing the entire apparatus. I just reached in with a couple or wrenches, took off the old arm and replaced it with a new arm. I assume the angle is correct because I left the bolt on the engine side loose (not the tie rod side) and bounced the car a few times, letting the control arm move freely, and, while the car was on the ground with the tire/wheel on, I tightened the bolt.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/lisle-4148/tools---equipment-16488/tools-17919/mechanics-tools-16816/misc--specialty-tools-17993/stethoscope/52500/4413915

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help jimbo7
I put the stethoscope on all four control arms and the C-link to the sway bar and I couldn't hear any distinct creaking with the scope. I visually compared the right and left sides and all the bushings look the same.

I think it's time for me to give up and bring the car to a local independent VW shop but the only place I trust in the Minneapolis / Saint Paul metro area is fully booked for the next two weeks and I need to drive the car on a vacation trip before then.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After checking AGAIN for the third time, I was finally able to clearly hear the creaking sound from the lower control arms. After a closer inspection with a flat screwdriver blade and a magnifying glass, I could see the bushings were bad on the lower arms. I'll replace them and the sway bar link.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's great news. I have a truck that sounds like an old logging cart after replacing all suspension parts. I didn't make noise before the new parts (go fig :rolleye:). I've messed with it so much that I've given up on finding the source. Your pain has been felt before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts