Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forward or reverse steering has to be pulled to move. No low speed power steering V6 2001 passat. No suspension work ever done except boots (axel)

·
Registered
28,965 Posts
No recalls. For a slipping belt, you need to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you see if the belt moves smoothly over the pulley vs jumping on one side. Have you checked the fluid level? Any bubbles in the reservoir while it's running?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No recalls. For a slipping belt, you need to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you see if the belt moves smoothly over the pulley vs jumping on one side. Have you checked the fluid level? Any bubbles in the reservoir while it's running?
None of the above! Can the tires have a bearing on the harf steering?

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
If you're in the rust belt area, rusted / corroded ball joints can make for some hard steering.
Factory suspension doesn't have any accommodations for lubing the joints.

Check your upper control arms. Worn rubber bushings can have a profound effect on steering. I've got worn out upper bushings on my W8 and that thing steers like crap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're in the rust belt area, rusted / corroded ball joints can make for some hard steering.
Factory suspension doesn't have any accommodations for lubing the joints.

Check your upper control arms. Worn rubber bushings can have a profound effect on steering. I've got worn out upper bushings on my W8 and that thing steers like crap.
Car never driven in winter! No grease fittings is a negative for sure!

·
Registered
28,965 Posts
Compared to your Tiguan and GSW, the Passat steering is already heavier. Too much toe-in can result in heavy steering too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ralphie,

We’re you able to determine the cause of the heavy steering? Our Wagon was feeling pretty trucky. Down a few psi. Hopefully that’s your situation as well.
I think tires the Michelins (green style) are a hard rubber! They crack within three years and suck! I drive only in summer so next set of tires will be summer tires only. I have had my 2001 v6 passat since new and i love this little bug but shifting is getting old but gas mileage is great with 93 octane. as far as steering components like new, did do the same boot twice but nothing else!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think tires the Michelins (green style) are a hard rubber! They crack within three years and suck! I drive only in summer so next set of tires will be summer tires only. I have had my 2001 v6 passat since new and i love this little bug but shifting is getting old but gas mileage is great with 93 octane. as far as steering components like new, did do the same boot twice but nothing else!
I too think better gas has given me better mileage and performance. Maybe it’s in my head, but seemed that way even in our old VWs from the eighties. I was hoping you aired up the tires, and the steering improved. As PZ said above, the newer cars feel lighter, steering wise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts