Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everybody?
Hey i need alot of help! I put new tie rod ends and got my car an alignment all the way around. My tie rod ends were pretty bad so I thought I'd get some new ones before its too late. Well I got it done on monday and until today(friday) was fine. I was driving home and my steeringwheel started to shake. Was doing the speed limit 65MPH. It's weird because sometimes it does it and sometimes it goes away.It's not constant. I took it to LES Schwab (where I got the job done) I was back there with the guys for about two hours we took both front wheels off and balanced them. The guys checked everything they could think of. So they ended up telling me that I need new tires.I've had my rims on for about two months now, and I've never had any sort of problem. My steering wheel will just start shaking in straight aways and around cuves, its not always the same sometimes is worst then other times. The balancing didn't do any good. It's realy weird.

I would really appretiate all the help I can get. Thank you guys a bunch. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Karma you're an ass son. I took my wheels of today and checked the hubcentric rings and they both are still in there. I also test drove it and it only did it once for a bit that was it. The tires I have are stiill in a pretty good condition, I'd hate tothrow those away. It's so strange.

Oooh thanks alot S klass for your opinion. I got the ires balanced right away and it was stil happening.l

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
There are two possibilities:

1) There is something in your suspension that got dorked up during the work.
2) You have bad tires. It happens, and is usually covered by the tire warranty.

To rule out the tires, swap the fronts to the backs. If the rear end starts to shake instead of the wheel, it is your tires. If the problem stays at the front, something is wrong with your suspension.

SirWired

·
Superhero
669 Posts
My first drive was driving the car from Charolette NC to Detroit MI. I drove through a driving rainstorm most of the way through WV, and the extreme wetness coupled with extreme braking caused some very interesting driving moments which I suspect warped the rotors.

Once I got home I put a set of front rotors on and the problem did not re-occur.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
I had this problem and NTB couldn't figure it out. It turned out the Yokohamas 430's I had in 2005 were prone to having a steel belt break in them and it caused the wheel to shake. It's covered under a 1 year warentee by the manufactures on all tires due to a defect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys thanks a lot of your replyes. I swapt my wheels and sure enough it was the tires. I'll be ordering some toyos soon. Tight now I'm driving with two stock wheels in the front and two 19's in the back. It looks pretty fynny.
Once again thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guys thanks a lot of your replyes. I swapt my wheels and sure enough it was the tires. I'll be ordering some toyos soon. Tight now I'm driving with two stock wheels in the front and two 19's in the back. It looks pretty fynny.
Once again thank you all for your help.

pics would be nice. how's the handling?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try to get some pics up soon. The handling is not that bad. I have the toyo proxes on my stock wheels so its not that bad. But the look is horrible dude. I have to rock it like that for another week atleast, until my new tires come in.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Tires out of balance
Bald spots, factory defects
Glad you worked it out

(haiku, spelled backwards)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts