Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing a wobble in the steering of my 2001.5 Passat (4-Motion).
Has anyone else experienced this? It's really noticeable at low speeds and while turning at low speeds. It almost feels like the power steering is intermittent or something. As far as I know the wheels are true and not damaged.

Any thoughts and help would be great.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
How many miles? Are the tie rod ends in good shape? If they are worn,they will add movement to the
steering. Binding in the cv joints or drivetrain will also cause this.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
gtidog, sounds like the CV joints.. Did you schedule a visit to the dealership or a tuner? The guys at Libertyville are in your area, and they do good work!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got about 38,000 miles on it.

It's strange, but the symptom came on one day and wasn't a gradual deterioration.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's got the original wheels and tires (Michelin's). I think the balance is ok, as the wobble isn't really noticeable above 20mph.

I can visibly see the stering wheel wobbling when I pull away from a standing start.

Tie rods and bolts all feel tight and snug.

Strange. :???:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I'd guess that since you are feeling feedback in the wheel, that it's most not likely a balance or bent wheel thing (you'd feel that in your ass, and it wouldn't translate as much onto actuall trying to 'turn' the wheel.

I'd guess either bearing/CV (although you would almost definitely get a noise with either), or possibly brake drag... I don't suppose you have a bit if a pulse in the brake?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
gtidog if you do a search on my name I posted basically the same thing a bit ago .. it was a tire either developing a flat spot or seperating.

How I isolated it was I took the right front and swapped it with the right rear ... problem was still there. Then I swapped the left front with the left rear. Steering wheel wobble was gone but now I could feel it in my seat.

I took the left rear off and swapped it with the spare ... wabble was gone.

I took it up to the tire store and the put it on the balancer and the deformity was visable. Continental replaced it .. mind you it had only -5000 miles on it and 17/64" of tread depth. New is 10/32.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved! Had an appointment at Liberty earlier today and they found that the left front tire had a seperated tread. One new tire and a balance later and she's smooth with no wobble.

Thanks to all for the help troubleshooting and suggestions!!!!! :thumbup:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
gtidog said:
Problem solved! Had an appointment at Liberty earlier today and they found that the left front tire had a seperated tread. One new tire and a balance later and she's smooth with no wobble.

Thanks to all for the help troubleshooting and suggestions!!!!! :thumbup:
Was it a Continental? How many miles ?

I wonder how many others have had this happen?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A little OT, but this is why I love this board! :wink: The collective experience of so many owners is extremely valuable when it comes to solving problems....:thumbup:.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI
The tire was an original Michelin, with about 38,000 miles on it. It still had some to go before hitting the wear indicators.

The tech also noted that there are cracks between the treads, but, not sure if this is what caused the seperation. I've got the tire and may try Michelin if there is any warranty issue I can claim.

Thanks again all :beer:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm having the same issue with one of my contiextremes. I had noticed the slight wobble when it was in the back. I thought it was just the balancing so I had the wheels balanced when they were rotated.

The wobble was even worse, I thought the tire shop did a horrible balancing job and so took it to another shop. This shop found a problem with the tire.

They replaced it, but had the same problem. Tried another tire and found one that seemed ok, but I think they just picked the best one because they only had two contiextremes left in the shop.

When I drove off, it seemed, ok, but I could still feel a little something. It snowed last night and got particularly cold. So when I drove today, I noticed a definate and much stronger wobble.

When they rotated my tires, they noticed that the cv boot was cracked on the drivers side. :sad: I just replaced the passenger side half shaft, cv joint/boot a month ago. From reading other posts, seems like these boots are starting to dry up after 50,000 miles. Maybe its worse in areas with drier climates, but it seems like both sides have ripped when the weather has drastically changed. So the insant the boot rips dirt, grime, water, mud, snow,salt, etc....go to the joint. :(

Granted the wobble could be because of the joint, but the fact that the problem got instantly worse after the tires were rotated(bad tire to the front), plus the fact that the guy trying to balance the tire found a problem, leads me to believe its the tires.

Even so, I have an appointment on monday to examine/fix cv boot/joint, so I'll rule that out and take it back to the tire shop.

I asked one of the guys that was working on my car if they had problems like this with these tires before when they're brand new. He said yea, he's seen this problem before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts