Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rotated my tires and I noticed that I have a slight vibration on the steering wheel at low speeds. I see this when I let go of the steering wheel and it looks like its wiggling. I know its not the road as my street is a perfectly paved asphalt road. Could this be a balancing issue? should I have my tires balanced?

I havent noticed this on high speeds but definitely saw it on low speeds like under 80kmh

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Could be a balance issue or could just be uneven tire wear that you didn't notice when they were on the rears. Also, check to make sure that tire pressure is even as well.

I had a similar issue and it was uneven wear. Nothing wrong with my alignment, just crappy Dunlop Sport tires. You can check by running your hand over the tires on the front.

You may want to try swapping the tires back to see if the vibration goes away. If so...its the tires.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure the tire pressure is good. maybe its uneven tire wear then...i will check, if not i will have them balance the tire..

thanks!

hopefully my tires wont wiggle when Im on the highway driving at 140/kmh :lol:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
natskiboy said:
im sure the tire pressure is good. maybe its uneven tire wear then...i will check, if not i will have them balance the tire..

thanks!

I can't remember now, but there is rule saying "when steering wheel is shaking on speed less than 60mph than balance front wheels and when is shaking on speed over 60mph that balance rears". I can be wrong in weather are front or rears on up to 60 and over but this rule works allways on all cars. Just remember what maister will tell you after balancing, was it front or rear.After that you will always know depends on speed. If you now drive faster than 60mph you will loose this shake (if it is shake at all on slower speed, you did not told us what is the speed)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
natskiboy said:

thanks!

Ha, if I succeed with my, I will pass you secret. :lol:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Typically if you have a vibration and are trying to determine which tires - front or rear - the location of the vibration is the best clue. If its in the steering wheel, its the fronts and if its in the seat, its the rears. And since the original post said its in the steering wheel, I have to assume its the fronts.

Since tires wear unevenly even when rotated, I would look at this first. Its possible one of the weights fell off and has put the tire out of balance but I would have thought it would have been noticable before the rotation. I'm still betting on uneven wear.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. Now that 00Psst brought up how i can check vibration. It makes sense to me now. I remember one day my mom complained about the ride when she sat in the back seat. Now that the rear tires are up front it might be uneven wear thats right. I will still take the car in for a 4 wheel balancing just in case. Will post after I do all this checks

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Nenad said:
natskiboy said:

thanks!

I can't remember now, but there is rule saying "when steering wheel is shaking on speed less than 60mph than balance front wheels and when is shaking on speed over 60mph that balance rears". I can be wrong in weather are front or rears on up to 60 and over but this rule works allways on all cars. Just remember what maister will tell you after balancing, was it front or rear.After that you will always know depends on speed. If you now drive faster than 60mph you will loose this shake (if it is shake at all on slower speed, you did not told us what is the speed)
THANK YOU! Now I know what my problem is. I am taking my car to the tire shop and have them check it out. This is a new issue for me as well. :)

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Also something to consider is tire seperation or flat spotting .. it will caus the wheel shake at low speeds.. I just had one replaced for that .

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how do i check for tire separation? I just visually checked the tire wear and it is not uneven. I will take this to the wheel balancing place and let them check it.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
natskiboy said:
how do i check for tire separation? I just visually checked the tire wear and it is not uneven. I will take this to the wheel balancing place and let them check it.
Mine was not possible to see just by me looking but soon as the stuck it on the balancer and spun it it was visable.

Let them do it .. don't try it yourself

·
Registered
718 Posts
yeah, i have the same problem with one of the original michelins on my car, the tread is seperating. I had the exact same vibration and " wiggle" in my steering wheel and the dealer told me it was the tread, or a belt seperating. I suggest taking it to someone who deals with what ever tires you have on your car, see if that manufacturer will foot some of the bill for a new tire. The tires are probably prorated so they may not pay for the whole thing. Just FYI, if a tire is out of balance, you'll start feeling a vibration at a certain speed, and then once your going faster, it should go away, atleast somewhat. I had a tire out of balance on my old car once, and I would get a vibration around 50-55mph, and it would start to go away around 65-70mph.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was planning to bring it to the dealership to balance the tires since they did the tire rotation for me just last week, but they are closed today.

So, I went to a local Goodyear Tire service center and asked if they did wheel balancing. I told the guy I had felt a slight vibration at around 60km/h. I mentioned to him that I just did a tire rotation last week, he said that what I am experiencing is someting called 'high spot' low spots' ..whatever that is but he said its because i didnt do a tire rotation in time. He siad he dint think that balancing the wheel will fix my problem, he said live with it for now and rotate my tires the next oil change...

is this guy telling me the truth? :weirdo:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I usually have my tires rotated every 3rd oil change and demand that the balance be checked on each tire. There is usually 1 or 2 tires that are off by 0.25oz because the tires do not wear evenly and the balance will change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
natskiboy
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing