Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ESP sensor - MOMO stering wheel

Hello everybody ...
I have bought passat saloon 2.0 petrol 2002...great car ...
after few months i decide to go for little changes ... i lowered down 30 mm .... and now i get MOMO steering wheel (... with the hub for golf IV) fits perfect but after i starting to roll Air bag and ESP light comes on ... i have reset Air Bag light in Vw service, but After 50 meters ESP come out again .... On computer display sez: STERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR .....so i decide to put back old wheel ... And now is all right ... Why ...??? How i can use that MOMO wheel ???? PLease help

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Greg_gorr -- welcome to passatworld! :)

Your car has the "ESP" system, right? (Not "ASR") ESP uses the steering wheel position (along with wheel speed sensors at all four wheels) to determine if your car is starting to spin, instead of just making a normal turn. ASR is less sophisticated: it only looks at wheel speeds.

Related question... I'm assuming you are in the UK? Do your cars have an airbag system in the steering wheel, like the US models?

Somewhere on the steering column is a sensor for measuring the position of the steering wheel. ...<deleted>... There's a good chance you are out of luck, unless you can rig that sensor to read the steering wheel position some other way -- for example, by attaching the clock spring to the momo wheel somehow.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
okay, I did some more research in my Bentley...

The steering angle sensor is a big, almost rectangular object that fits in the "top" of the steering column (the face that the steering wheel attaches to), just inside of the plastic shell/housing. It seems that it has a pin or two that engage the steering wheel, so the wheel can "dial around" the pegs when turned.

You'll probably have to make sure that the momo wheel also attaches to these pegs.

Can you take some photos of your steering column with the steering wheel and plastic cover removed? Also, pics of the "back side" of the momo & OEM steering wheels?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts