Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my steering shakes every time i cruise at 60-63... and this happens all the time.... even if i go 70 and slow down when i pass through th 63-60 range iit'll vibrate???? what could this be what shouldi be looking for.....i got a 00 1.8t 93000 miles changed tb water pump ,pulley .... what else should i fix or change..

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
well my steering shakes every time i cruise at 60-63... and this happens all the time.... even if i go 70 and slow down when i pass through th 63-60 range iit'll vibrate???? what could this be what shouldi be looking for.....i got a 00 1.8t 93000 miles changed tb water pump ,pulley .... what else should i fix or change..
Could be just a good, old-fashioned, wheel out of balance. When's the last time the two front wheels were balanced? If it's been over 6K miles, I'd do that first. I'd go ahead and do all four in fact.

My experience over 40 years of driving is that most wheel balancing issues are worse at between 60 and 65 mph - hopefully this is your case too.

If it's not a wheel out of balance, could be a bad tire (out of round for instance), or a suspension or steering related component. But I'd look at the balance first.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Also, if you're in one of the places where its been snowy/icy check your wheels for build up. Can knock stuff out of balance

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same problem recently. I went through alot to try and find it. Changing CV boots, replaced the upper and lower control arms.
Turns our it was the tires. I changed them and everyhting cleared up. I didnt think it was that bad, but that cleared it up. It had been 3 years or more with the same tires.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You can get new tie rod ends from www.getcoolparts.com for about $45 each shipped. Before you do that, jack up the RF wheel, grab the tire and see if there's any play in the steering by trying to turn it left and right. If there's play, you should be able to look at the TRE while you're moving the wheel and verify it's worn. Do the same for the LF. There should be zero play if everything's right. Passat TRE's are known to wear - the new TRE's are better than the OEM and should last a lot longer. There's a writeup on TRE replacement in the information forum.

If the suspension is good (no play), look for a wheel balance or bent wheel problem as mentioned by others.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Start with the wheels. As has been mentioned above check the balancing and what about tread wear? If you can switch the front and back wheels. If the vibration is still there then it's probably your suspension and not the wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts