Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a 3-spoke steering wheel, can anyone tell me why the VW ones(GLI,GTI) cost more than the Audi A4/S4 ones?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Which ones are you looking at? If you're talking about the older ones then they aren't too badly priced, The MKIV and up ones get really pricey but they are quite a bit newer, fancier, and obviously less of them out there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just looking for a nicer wheel than the stock one. I currently do not have the controls on my wheel so I don't need them on the new one either. Will the older ones fit a B5.5?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
I'm running an Audi 3-spoke on my 99 Passat and it fits, works and looks great. I never liked the look of the VW three spoke of that vintage. Something about the big round center shape turns me off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa, jinx

Did you leave the Audi logo on it or is there a way to put a VW one on there?

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
I'm running an Audi 3-spoke on my 99 Passat and it fits, works and looks great. I never liked the look of the VW three spoke of that vintage. Something about the big round center shape turns me off.
Das is why I am struggling wit going through the trouble of converting the R32. I love my B5 S-Line 3-spoke. And if you don't need buttons, they can be had for $75-125 with airbag. Awesome upgrade.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I was told to look for a yellow clip for the airbag and it would be plug and play, does this look like it will fit a b5.5?
I haven't really tooled around too much with steering wheels but if I were in your situation I would try to retrofit the airbag plug from the old steering wheel to the new. You can remove the wires from the plugs and re-insert them into the correct positions.

Do a search through keithwbloom's posts as he has done this mod already with excellent documentation here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I'm gonna give it a try today... This is so far out of the scope of things I'm comfortable with, but I'm pretty excited to try it. Until it blows up in my face that is.:eek:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna give it a try today... This is so far out of the scope of things I'm comfortable with, but I'm pretty excited to try it. Until it blows up in my face that is.:eek:
DO NOT even touch the air bag until you have disconnected the battery terminals!

Here is an informative thread: Pin Removal; about how to remove pins/connectors from VAG plugs. Just do some research here and across the web to find out more information to make the task easier.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
I haven't really tooled around too much with steering wheels but if I were in your situation I would try to retrofit the airbag plug from the old steering wheel to the new. You can remove the wires from the plugs and re-insert them into the correct positions.

Do a search through keithwbloom's posts as he has done this mod already with excellent documentation here.
Since you do not have steering wheel controls on your existing VW wheel, I am not as familiar with what connector you will find when you remove the airbag. The B5 A4 connector is well documented in my conversion thread. If the connector in your wheel has four wires as well, then you are set (+/- for horn, +/- for airbag igniter).

:wrench:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts