Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just this morning while I was driving to my work I felt that something is not right with my B5.5 (1.8T 03 @ nearly 30k). Simply - to drive straight I have to keep the steering wheel just a bit off center to the left. While the steering is at center the car drifts to the right. Where should I seek for the problem? Is it covered by the warranty (I'm still under VW B2B)?. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I thought so... why do they charge for 20k, 30k, 40k services and not to do alignment once a while?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Unless there was an odd crown on the road surface or a tire problem causing the pull you need to get an alignment to correct it. There is the possibility that something is bent or worn out and will need replacement but if you cannot remember hitting anything too noticable it may just need to be pulled back into spec.

Before running into the shop check your tire pressures, a low tire can create a pull.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Unless there was an odd crown on the road surface or a tire problem causing the pull you need to get an alignment to correct it. There is the possibility that something is bent or worn out and will need replacement but if you cannot remember hitting anything too noticable it may just need to be pulled back into spec.

Before running into the shop check your tire pressures, a low tire can create a pull.

X2:thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Likely a toe-out condition in the right front tire or a toe-in condition of the left front tire.
Get a 4-wheel laser alignment and make sure to see a printout of the position of each of the tires, before and after the correction.
After the correction, the steering wheel should return to on-center.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea how much would be alignment at the dealer? I'm leaving my car for 30k service tomorrow and just want to know before :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for your information it's $129 @ dealership.

They also wanted to perform power steering fluid flush for about $150 ... said that has to be done at 30k. I said, no thanks. Is it really necessary? - My maintenance manual doesn't say a word about it.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
i had ongoing problems with my alignment but the dealership by me charged me 120 for an alignment but ended up doing alot more because it didnt fix the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just for your information it's $129 @ dealership.

They also wanted to perform power steering fluid flush for about $150 ... said that has to be done at 30k. I said, no thanks. Is it really necessary? - My maintenance manual doesn't say a word about it.
So, did you have it done? Did the alignment fix the issue? It just happens that I have the same situation on my 2002 Passat with 49,000 and wonder whether I need to ask the dealer to align the wheels.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. That fixed the problem. I can really recommend East Coast VW if you're in Tri-State. I had few repairs done by them and they're fast and professional.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts