Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I looked around and can't find any information on this. My steering wheel moves up and down (not side to side) about 1/16" (give or take a few). It just started doing this about 2 months ago. It is a 2003 V6 with 50K. My steering is tight, the car doesn't vibrate and none of the other signs that the TRE ends are going. I am not sure if the previous owner used his steering wheel to get in and out of the car and maybe has worked itself loose? Any thoughts or ideas.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Does the entire steering collumn move, or does the just the wheel? If only the wheel, waste no time in checking the retaining bolt. If the whole collumn, remove the top shroud and see if you can see what moves so you can correct it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just the steering wheel that moves, the column stays put. I just don't want to be driving down the road one day and have the damn thing fall off hahah. It doesn't really affect anything and wanted to make sure it wasn't a precursor to a bigger problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If only the wheel, waste no time in checking the retaining bolt.
Vdub_Dave, I may have misunderstood your reply to ylwagon, but I want to reiterate that you should IMMEDIATELY check the retaining bolt if just the wheel is moving. I don't think ylwagon is saying it would be a waste of time to check it, rather that it is imperitive that you do check it.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Stating the obvious, but have you made sure the adjustment lever on the bottom of the column is tight? Would be worth checking before you go messing around trying to get the airbag off the wheel... FYI- You can move the wheel in and out in addition to up and down.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i'm curious about this. i've felt my steering wheel do something very similar. the adjustment lever is locked, and i can't move or recreate the issue on my own, but on occassion, while either heavy braking or hitting certain bumps, i feel the steering wheel move up or down very slightly. maybe 1/16' like the OP. i haven't checked any bolts or connections for the wheel. i'm not experienced with removing the steering wheel, so i'm avoiding diving into it. i'd love to see if the OP can pinpoint and correct his issue, in hopes that i don't go through the hassle of removing my steering wheel for nothing.

edit: btw mine is a 01.5 v6 w/ 111k.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My Cabrio has a bad steering rack, which lets the wheel move back and forth at times (even though that wheel does not even adjust in and out)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Good thought... A bad or loose steering rack could contribute to the movement. We've seen more than one instance of the 3 bolts that hold the rack in place getting loose over time. Would also make sense to feel the movement under breaking or acceleration if that was the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts