Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Variant Punk

I Have good News....I didn't pay alot for my car Insurance.

But seriously there is still good news ALL A4 and B5 VW's can swap steering wheels

I actually have a Three spoke steering wheel that Came out of a Jetta TDI in my Passat.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just think the airbag wont fit. Hm. They can be pricey too. So the wheel will fit. Just need to figure out an airbag. Let me get a hold of my best friend who works at an import salvage yard. This could be an awesome change for the cockpit.

If anyone on the east coast (and heck the US) needs salvaged parts I can get you in contact with a great yard. Well respected in my hometown for their services.

Thanks PhantomGLI. More input is appreciated!

Stephen.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Variant Punk

That is an Audi steering wheel (You knew that right) :suspicio:

If you want to use that steering wheel you will have to use the airbag that goes with it which will have an audi logo.

I don't think the VW airbag will fit because the mounting clips that hold on the VW air bag will not work.

If you want a three spoke steering wheel you have five choices

1. The stock 3 spoke from an Mark 4 VW not an A4 Audi
2. The perforated leather 3 spoke from the 20th anniversary GTI
3. The R32 3 spoke that has an even fatter grip than the stock 3 spoke
4 The 3 spoke and airbag from the VW lupo (I don't think their are many floating around in the US)
5. The wood rim steering wheel and Airbag from the W8 passat.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
This was some great info. I have a VW airbag on the way, and an A4 steering wheel. I purchased the wheel for cheap, so it won't be too much of a loss. If it fits, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya. I posted early this morning with minimal thought. The airbag I have isn't going to cut it. But what I am trying to cut is a deal with my buddies salvage yard. My 98 wheel with bag for an appropriate wheel and bag.

I dont mind the Audi rings in my cockpit. Its all the same to me.

The R32 route is way too expensive. I never checked the 3 spoke from an Mk4. Maybe look into that. It seems I can get that wheel above for 50 bucks. Not a bad deal?

Really just saw a cheap deal - I think cheap? - on a wheel that would be an easy upgrade/swap. I am on a budget for my wagon so when I can catch up on an exceptional deal I love to indulge. Im cheap, Clemson gets the large hunk of my money. One day I'll be rich like ya'll. :)

Thanks for the info phantomGLI. Your input is a huge help for sure. So :thumbup:

B5V6 : Definitely love to hear an update when you get the goods recieved and installed.

Thanks folks for all your input. Truly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Back from the dead:

I just bought a 2004 GTI leather steering wheel and airbag package.. The airbag and steering wheel are a 3 spoke design NON-multifunction.

I have a 2003 VW 4 spoke multifunction steering wheel in my GLS PASSAT 1.8T.

Can someone let me know if this will work 100%?

I was looking at a few threads. Can anyone tell me what this airbag will also fit in? ie. what other years the 3 spoke gti airbag from a 2004 will fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Variant Punk

That is an Audi steering wheel (You knew that right) :suspicio:

If you want to use that steering wheel you will have to use the airbag that goes with it which will have an audi logo.

I don't think the VW airbag will fit because the mounting clips that hold on the VW air bag will not work.

If you want a three spoke steering wheel you have five choices

1. The stock 3 spoke from an Mark 4 VW not an A4 Audi
2. The perforated leather 3 spoke from the 20th anniversary GTI
3. The R32 3 spoke that has an even fatter grip than the stock 3 spoke
4 The 3 spoke and airbag from the VW lupo (I don't think their are many floating around in the US)
5. The wood rim steering wheel and Airbag from the W8 passat.
I'm running a 3-spoke Audi wheel/airbag; what's wrong with running the Audi logo? After all the B5/Passat is really just a cheaper version of the B5/A4, lol...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/6...-spoke-steering-wheel-multifunction-swap.html - great write up. Anyone know if we remove multifunction relay, if we also will lose any cruise control function? I don't have an r32 wheel, only a 3 spoke gti wheel. figure i can upgrade the airbag into an r32 when the price is right

Back from the dead:

I just bought a 2004 GTI leather steering wheel and airbag package.. The airbag and steering wheel are a 3 spoke design NON-multifunction.

I have a 2003 VW 4 spoke multifunction steering wheel in my GLS PASSAT 1.8T.

Can someone let me know if this will work 100%?

I was looking at a few threads. Can anyone tell me what this airbag will also fit in? ie. what other years the 3 spoke gti airbag from a 2004 will fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^ those instructions work perfectly. I did this same swap (4 spoke multifunction to 3 spoke GTI) a few months ago using that write-up. airbag wiring and jumper for the horn were easy and worked perfectly. only think i've been too lazy to do is finally install and rewire for the new turn stalk with the cruise functions that i lost from the old 4-spoke multi-function buttons.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
^ those instructions work perfectly. I did this same swap (4 spoke multifunction to 3 spoke GTI) a few months ago using that write-up. airbag wiring and jumper for the horn were easy and worked perfectly. only think i've been too lazy to do is finally install and rewire for the new turn stalk with the cruise functions that i lost from the old 4-spoke multi-function buttons.
My turn signal stalk is in the mail. So, I'm going to install taht, I just wanted to know if there were any differences in installing the cruise control stalk. Can you post a picture of your set up? I'm hoping that i don't need to un-install my boost guage steering wheel pod.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
you shouldn't have to touch the boost gauge. i don't have pics to post, but here is the link to the best info on how to wire the new stalk with cruise functions:

Multifuntion to non mf steering wheel swap help? - TDIClub Forums

it looks like you have to remove the plastic cover around the area behind the wheel, but not the wheel itself to get to run the wires, so i'm assuming this doesn't affect your boost gauge.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
From the other site:
• You keep the jumper wire from the original steering wheel mod Horn• On Passats at least you will need to remove the steering wheel. ok You do not need any module, i.e. the 337 or the removed leave 337 in place and remove 451]• The three wires were just pluged into the appropriate connector openings where the 451 module was removed
• Hardest part for most people is going to be finding the three wires. What you say? the existing harness , at least on my car oonly had three wires plugged in it, the three new wires you need to hook into the connector are not in place with cars with the multifunction steering wheel as original equipment. You need to source these from your VW dealer. I was VERY lucky, Lito sent me an adapter with all the wires in place, so I just hooked up the three new wires to where they had to go, and tapped into the three existing wires. Using a one to one map need more clarification on this to better understand the process
My thought is that i should try to understand this last step so if i wanted to keep my steering wheel, I could for future.

you shouldn't have to touch the boost gauge. i don't have pics to post, but here is the link to the best info on how to wire the new stalk with cruise functions:

Multifuntion to non mf steering wheel swap help? - TDIClub Forums

it looks like you have to remove the plastic cover around the area behind the wheel, but not the wheel itself to get to run the wires, so i'm assuming this doesn't affect your boost gauge.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
the only thing with your thread is that you were doing reverse for the stock and it messes me up. You were gonig from a stock cruise control to the multi-function I love the buttons for the multi-function but overall really hate the stock wheel. maybe its just too common. I can't wait to get my gti wheel in. from what it looks like for me is that its a 3.5 Hr job. then 1 more hour for the cruise control.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.