Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2KB5 1.8T with 61K is making noises when turning the stearing wheel. It's not a screaching sound but more of a errrrrrr, errrrrrr :) I only notice it a low speads or backing out of my drive way. Last year the fluid was very low so I filled it back up and it's stayed at the same level since. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Check your return lines for seepage and check the level of your fluid. Mine started to wine when low and the line was seeping. It is damn near impossible to move the steering wheel when the line actually fails. The clamps are known to let go after a while too.

Only refill with fluid you buy from the dealer. Don't mix synthetic (e.g. Valvoline) that you pick up at Autozone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 2000(v-6). I have just about 50,000 miles on it. I put fluid in from the dealer, but still makes the noise. It's intermittent and also embarrassing. Sounds like your stomach is growling. :???:

·
Registered
80 Posts
It has nothing to do with the steering rack. my v6 has same problem and it seems worse when it is dry and hot and humid. my mechanic seems to think it is from control arm bushings. Anyone else have any experience with this moaning and groaning noise?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Wow, this is weird. I was just about to post a question asking the same thing. Someone please help!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My 98 with 40K miles or so had the same problem. The seals on the power steering rack were leaking, probably due to the previous owners putting in fluid that wasn't from the dealer. So we had the entire rack replaced :nervous:

None of you guys are leaking PS fluid? Check underneath your car and check the PS fluid reservoir too...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just bought my 98 2 weeks ago and just started hearing that problem. Seems to be another b5 pest problem.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yep. See if you can get the seals replaced rather than the entire power steering rack. May be cheaper that way. We found an indie guy, "Helmut & Vito's", two heavily accented European guys that knew what they were doing. :thumbup: He specializes in european cars and replaced the power steering rack.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There's also an issue with where the steering rack goes through the firewall. Take off the trim down there and spray in some silicone first before you start replacing stuff. This fixed mine - 2001.5 Variant with 62,000 miles.

Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
noise

my steering rack is not leaking a drop. the noise is a dull sound not a squeak.. sounds like suspension parts moving sounds like rubber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts