Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone Thanks in advance for your adivise. On my daily commute i have noticed that at 85-90 mph my stearing wheel starts to shake. Is this normal ? I have a 2002 1.8t wagon that I purchased used a couple of months ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Do you have after market wheels? Mine shakes from b/w 90-100... but once i pass 100 it gets smoother again.... ooh beware, the speed trolls may come out on this one, lol :biglaugh: :p

Ooh and i have 18" wheels, but it did the same when i had stock wheels.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Your wheels need balancing

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It still could be a balancing problem. Find a place that has a GSP9700 balancer. Good luck though. I had my new tires balanced 4 times before a place actually did it right.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Try Costco - you will need to specify that you want "sticky weights" and not ones hammered on the edge of your rims. They did a great job on mine - wheels and tires are perfectly balanced as fast as the car has gone (some where north of 115).

Obviously, you need to be a Costco member though.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
Start with the simple stuff. Balance the wheels then move on to loose or worn suspension components.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,463 Posts
Yes, you should get your wheels balanced, but at 90mph, this reminds me of, "Doc, it really hurts when I do this." "So, don't do that." :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Over 60 and shakes, it's fronts, and below 60 and shakes, it's your rears. Or is it the otherway around. nonetheless, you wheels just need rebalancing. Specify sticky weights too. The clamp on's aren't as accurate, esp if you only do static balacning (no weights on the face of the rims).

·
Registered
472 Posts
i work at discount tire and the gsp97000 is AMAZING! but it all depends on last calibration and user care. if the tech dosent watch where the arms are set. weight chasing will occur. if you want a perfect balance you need to tell them to "ridematch" them thats when they apply roafdforce to the wheel when it is on the balancer and the machiene will match up the soft spot of the tire with the hard spot of the rim for a PERfect balance, it dose cost extra though cuz its alot more work. (marking the tire, then marking the rim, taking it off the balancer unseating the beads and then physicaly turning the tire to match the line you maked on the rim)

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Oripaamoni said:
i work at discount tire and the gsp97000 is AMAZING! but it all depends on last calibration and user care. if the tech dosent watch where the arms are set. weight chasing will occur. if you want a perfect balance you need to tell them to "ridematch" them thats when they apply roafdforce to the wheel when it is on the balancer and the machiene will match up the soft spot of the tire with the hard spot of the rim for a PERfect balance, it dose cost extra though cuz its alot more work. (marking the tire, then marking the rim, taking it off the balancer unseating the beads and then physicaly turning the tire to match the line you maked on the rim)
Excellent info.:bowdown: Put this in the info forum.

I suggest that the owner above also look at the treat wear. More often than not this has been my problem.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,463 Posts
Oripaamoni said:
i work at discount tire ...
I buy at Discount Tire. :)

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
all that sounds like great advice, but to me, it just sounds like
your car is skeered to go any faster!!!