Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in my previous car..I had no heat so I would have to roll down my windows when driving in cold/raining wheather to help reduce the foggy windows.

But I don't want to do that in my passat...My other cars seats can tell you why!

This may sound retarded but I tried hot, air, and AC. Recycled to not recycled.

But my rear windows seems to stay foggy. =(

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i wouldn't do recirc / recycle for sure... i do more fan, more defrost and more heat in that order as needed. cracking a rear window or the sunroof if needed and possible to keep the temp down.

does anyone know if the A/C is automatically turned on with the Defrost (windshield) setting? i know i've had a couple cars that actually turned on the A/C indicator when i switched to defrost, and i think a few of the other ones i've had didn't show that it was running but i think ran it for me, presumably to reduce the moisture content of the air hitting the inside of the windshield.

a.s.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
i wouldn't do recirc / recycle for sure... i do more fan, more defrost and more heat in that order as needed. cracking a rear window or the sunroof if needed and possible to keep the temp down.

does anyone know if the A/C is automatically turned on with the Defrost (windshield) setting? i know i've had a couple cars that actually turned on the A/C indicator when i switched to defrost, and i think a few of the other ones i've had didn't show that it was running but i think ran it for me, presumably to reduce the moisture content of the air hitting the inside of the windshield.

a.s.
It is with climatronic. With the manual unit, I might be worth trying kicking the defroster on with the A/C

·
Registered
199 Posts
rear passanger windows? or rear windshield? if its the rear wildshield just turn on the defroster. Rear passanger windows, I don't know. I've never had that problem while driving, not that I look through them all that much while driving either.

On a related note, do VW's come from the factory with some coating to prevent fog? Cause I swear that my windshield fogs much more now after I've washed it with so Windex like product.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
There is somebody in your back seat, pull over now and ask them to get out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Defroster setting, A/C on, fresh air(no recirc), warm air - in order of importance

I've also used cool air, depending on the season. A/C will filter out the humidity. Don't use recirc because you would be surprised how much moisture you give off while driving. Fresh air will be better even if it is raining. Besides, when you turn on the defroster, it automatically switches the recirc off(at least in the non-climatronic).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Defroster setting, A/C on, fresh air(no recirc), warm air - in order of importance

I've also used cool air, depending on the season. A/C will filter out the humidity. Don't use recirc because you would be surprised how much moisture you give off while driving. Fresh air will be better even if it is raining. Besides, when you turn on the defroster, it automatically switches the recirc off(at least in the non-climatronic).
I agree! We're having ALOT of rain in the northeast lately, and I live in a "lake effect" weather pattern (which simply means about 500% more precipitation than most places NOT influenced by one of the Great Lakes!)

Also, I have a wagon/variant... so the extra cabin volume takes longer to de-fog... but this combination works every time!

Good luck!

PS> I assume you are also using the electric rear window defogger?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Well in my previous car..I had no heat so I would have to roll down my windows when driving in cold/raining wheather to help reduce the foggy windows.

But I don't want to do that in my passat...My other cars seats can tell you why!

This may sound retarded but I tried hot, air, and AC. Recycled to not recycled.

But my rear windows seems to stay foggy. =(
If the fogging is a recurrent problem, I'm going to suggest that you check around your car for water intrusion. Check the carpeting under all of your floor mats. You might be suffering from the dreaded blocked drain syndrome, allowing rain water to enter your vehicle.

You want to make sure everything is nice and dry, since the CCM and TCU are under the carpets in the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts