Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my oil changed at the stealership and noticed that they installed a Penzoil filter and not a VW filter. I recently went back and looked at the previous service history (I am the owner since late Dec.) from purchase to now - all of which was done at the stealership - and the invoices list Penzoil filters all the way.

Although I haven't seen the new recommended "anti-sludge" filter I understand that it is about 30% larger than the initial filter. I think this Penzoil one looks a bit on the small size.

I'll probably get screwed on any warranty coverage. I can just hear VWOA now when the next coil goes out - "you didn't use original VW filters..."

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
how would you get screwed? if the dealers have used those parts that's not your fault. you took it in for supposedly proper service. it'll just show that VW doesn't do enough to police their policies. worst case is they make the dealer pay for it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quality_sound said:
how would you get screwed? if the dealers have used those parts that's not your fault. you took it in for supposedly proper service. it'll just show that VW doesn't do enough to police their policies. worst case is they make the dealer pay for it.

I doubt it too - I was just making light of their warranty enforcement practices. I'd fight tooth & nail if they tried to deny a claim based on that.

You'd think VW would notice that they weren't ordering many filters from them though.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
I think I might be tempted to drop a call to VWoA and point out to them that one of their dealers is ignoring the 'anti'sludge' filter recommendation.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think you should call VWoA. Last time I had my oil changed at firestone who installed a Firestone filter. When I went to the dealer for my next oil change they took the time to put it in my service record that I was using a non-OEM oil filter althoug it was a correct size filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts