Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of wrote this one off already a few months ago as just another oversized American sedan, but I'm starting to see a lot of value and style in this Big RWD, IRS, 340hp for ~$33k.

Jamie Kitman wrote a great article about it in this month's Automobile magazine that made me want to take it for a test drive.
Apparently, there's a heavy dose of Mercedes in the 5-speed Auto, steering, suspension, etc.

Anyone else warming up to this one?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Der Meister said:
I kind of wrote this one off already a few months ago as just another oversized American sedan, but I'm starting to see a lot of value and style in this Big RWD, IRS, 340hp for ~$33k.

Jamie Kitman wrote a great article about it in this month's Automobile magazine that made me want to take it for a test drive.
Apparently, there's a heavy dose of Mercedes in the 5-speed Auto, steering, suspension, etc.

Anyone else warming up to this one?

Give me a few second to think about this ... hmmm ... noop :p

·
Registered
544 Posts
Knowing this place I'm sure you'll get more than your fair share of puke icons and statements to the fact that it's an American POS. With that said....

This car is an amazing piece of machinery for the money. Available 340hp V8 engine w/ MDS, firm yet compliant suspension, RWD (AWD coming this Fall), overall nice interior materials, smooth MB derived transmission, unique styling, etc. So far EVERY review I have read has been positive which also says a lot to me. I'm seriously considering this as my next vehicle. I recently test drove one and was thoroughly impressed. It's more of a German inspired touring sedan than an all out sport sedan, but don't get the wrong impression. This is no wallowy land yacht with pronounced body lean and brake dive. The suspension is quite firm and controlled w/ the the Continental all-season tires being the weak link IMO. Throw on some nice 20" wheels and slightly more aggressive rubber and you basically have an Americanized cut-rate previous generation E Class.

As for the styling....I initially hated the CTS styling and later warmed up to it. I felt the same way about the 300 when I first saw the concept pics a year ago. If I could say one thing about it's styling it is that is looks more demure in person, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending upon your perspective. It's also not as big as it looks in pictures.

Definitely worth a test drive if nothing else. :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Der Meister,

I am with you and jwaters. Originally I wasn't sure how much I would like it, but now after seeing a few on the street I too am warming up to them.

I deffinetly thing the 300C looks alot beeter then the lower 300's. The flaired fenders, dual exhaust, bigger wheels, give it a much more aggressive.

Having the Mercedes derived suspension, trannsmission, and RWD platform, is what seals the deal for me. It has some of the best parts of a German Sedan.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I love it and its twin, the Magnum.
They really aren't as big as they look - more of a true mid-size, if you will (todays large cars really aren't).
If it had a VW on the grille, people here would be all over it - even making excuses about how the car is growing on them, too. The CTS/DTS also have distinctive lines, which I like.
In fact, being distinctive means it won't be confused for any other car. Unlike most of VW's current lineup: all of them have that arched roofline which is growing a bit long in the tooth.
And that massive grille screams "get the hell out of my way". 'Cause if you don't, a 300C will drive right over you.
:D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
im on the fence, certain color combos look good.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I sat in one yesterday. Impressive interior. Felt very powerful. Still can't get over the exterior. The wierd thing is, I hate this car, but love the look of the Magnum RT. Wierd huh?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
passaturbonium said:
TAckhouse1 said:
Having the Mercedes derived suspension, trannsmission, and RWD platform, is what seals the deal for me. It has some of the best parts of a German Sedan.

-Nick
:suspicio:
So what are you confused about? My point was only to say, that most american cars I have driven in the recent past, go down the road like floaty boats. By having access to the Mercedes parts bin, Chrysler was able to design a car that while having a purely american design, also have a much more German driving characteristic.

So for myself, it is because of that driving characteristic that I would consider the 300c.

that help?

-Nick

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I liked it at first. But when I saw it at the auto show, I was very disappointed. The fit and finish were not as I had expected. The body gaps are horrible. One thing I noticed was the huge gap where the hood and the grill met at the headlight. The door closed with a light sounding clunk, rather than the heavy thud you would expect from a car that looks so solid from far away. I'm sure the rear-wheel drive with lots of low end torque would be a blast to drive though.

·
Registered
544 Posts
hoypinoy1234 said:
I liked it at first. But when I saw it at the auto show, I was very disappointed. The fit and finish were not as I had expected. The body gaps are horrible. One thing I noticed was the huge gap where the hood and the grill met at the headlight.
That's funny because I had the exact opposite impression regarding fit and finish. The panels gaps were very small and even.....seemingly smaller than even on my Passat. Out of 3 Chrysler 300s that I have seen in person, 1 had a "slight" misalignment where the hood and grill meet. In any case, this is a new vehicle and I'm sure there will be a few fit and finish flaws. Heck, even Acura who has a reputation for quality has had more than a few problems w/ fit and finish w/ the new TL (unevenly aligned glove compartment doors/hoods/trunk lids, poorly matching paint on bumpers, etc.). As for the doors, they seemed to close w/ a nice solid sound for me. Maybe not Mercedes Benz S-Class solid, but certainly acceptable for its price and class.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
jwaters943 said:
hoypinoy1234 said:
I liked it at first. But when I saw it at the auto show, I was very disappointed. The fit and finish were not as I had expected. The body gaps are horrible. One thing I noticed was the huge gap where the hood and the grill met at the headlight.
That's funny because I had the exact opposite impression regarding fit and finish. The panels gaps were very small and even.....seemingly smaller than even on my Passat. Out of 3 Chrysler 300s that I have seen in person, 1 had a "slight" misalignment where the hood and grill meet. In any case, this is a new vehicle and I'm sure there will be a few fit and finish flaws. Heck, even Acura who has a reputation for quality has had more than a few problems w/ fit and finish w/ the new TL (unevenly aligned glove compartment doors/hoods/trunk lids, poorly matching paint on bumpers, etc.). As for the doors, they seemed to close w/ a nice solid sound for me. Maybe not Mercedes Benz S-Class solid, but certainly acceptable for its price and class.
I agree with Jwaters,

I have found that Car Show cars, are not always full production versions. Check it out at the dealership to make a decisions.

-Nick

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
passaturbonium said:
TAckhouse1 said:

-Nick
:suspicio:
So what are you confused about? My point was only to say, that most american cars I have driven in the recent past, go down the road like floaty boats. By having access to the Mercedes parts bin, Chrysler was able to design a car that while having a purely american design, also have a much more German driving characteristic.

So for myself, it is because of that driving characteristic that I would consider the 300c.

that help?

-Nick
Well those "driver characteristics" will cost you when its time to be buying parts...but I do know what you are talking about. I thought you were talking about reliability.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks like one of thos 'old' russian state cars. :shock:
I like the wagon version better.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nojevive said:
Looks like one of thos 'old' russian state cars. :shock:
I like the wagon version better.
Haha -- yeah it does have some of that old Russian Limo look, big and square.

As somebody noted, the styling is almost a little bit cartoonish, but at the same time it looks purposeful / a little intimidating.

Chrysler needs to come up with a Driving Event so we can all go flog it! :D

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
The technology may be impressive, but the styling hasn't grown on me yet. But there's hope, I thought the current crop of Cadillacs looked terrible on paper, but the styling has grown on me as I see more and more of them. Ummmm, talk to me in six months about the styling....

I don't see one in my future, though. My next car = diesel. If gasoline pricing continues to climb, these hemi v8's may be the last of the breed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts