Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here but I've used quite a few threads to fix up my 00 passat. So first things first, I redid my control arms. Total pain, oh well. When I was removing my driver side lower control arms, the cv joint popped right out like a dislocated shoulder. Yippee, total pain, oh well. Replaced that as well. So finally buttoned everything back up and the car wont start. I've tried replacing the 372fuse, 373 fuse inside my ecu box in the engine bay. Checked the little 40amp fuse and 20amp fuse for both as well and they're not popped. I also just got a new used ecu off Ebay, and since it's a 2000 it doesnt have the whole coding issue with vagcom. I am pretty lost at this point and dont want to take it to the scrap yard but the future isnt looking promising. Can anyone give me any other ideas?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Won't start how? Turns over and doesn't fire? Doesn't turn over? Any lights on the dash? What engine does the car have? Manual or automatic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's a v6, 2.8L automatic. I've got the EPC light, check engine, and battery light. The obd2 scanner just reads a p1176 error(02 sensor). It sounds like its turning over but just wont fire. If I try to keep starting it, the STOP sign comes on the dash. It draws a lot of power when I try to start it but the battery is less than 6 months old. It's been sitting for 2 weeks now in a garage and I've been hooking it up to a remote battery charger when I try to start it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's a v6, 2.8L automatic. I've got the EPC light, check engine, and battery light. The obd2 scanner just reads a p1176 error(02 sensor). It sounds like its turning over but just wont fire. If I try to keep starting it, the STOP sign comes on the dash. It draws a lot of power when I try to start it but the battery is less than 6 months old. It's been sitting for 2 weeks now in a garage and I've been hooking it up to a remote battery charger when I try to start it.
does it never start or will it start after like 15-20 attempts? did it used to start? temps?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd charge the battery with it outside the car or at least disconnected until it is fully charged (eg 24 hrs). Then reconnect the battery and try again. You may have flooded the engine by now so you may want to research that a bit to see how to proceed.

And it was running before you did the suspension fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it was running before the engine fix. I will go disconnect it and let it charge for a while. Will also look into that flooded engine possibility as well

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
The 2.8 is susceptible to flooding due to "car wash syndrome". If you pull it in or out of the garage and just park it, it may not start, especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you remove the POS side battery cable before working on it? And if so, did you remove the Red wire that clamps to the POS battery post clamp with a 10mm hex screw?
On some of the cars I've work on, that Red wire that attaches to the battery clamp gets taught and requires removing it to get the battery post clamp off and out of the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine was flooded. Bought new spark plugs but now I'm getting no spark. Any suggestions? Going to try to get new coil packs and hopefully that solves it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out my vaccum lines stopped holding suction. Just natural wear and tear. Fluke that it happened after my repair though. Thank you for the help everyone. Long live the b5.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Yeah, I don't see many these days with original vac lines. I've updated all of the lines on all 3 of our Passats. Nearly 20' of line on the V6 if you include replacing all of the thin hard lines that constantly crack.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, I don't see many these days with original vac lines. I've updated all of the lines on all 3 of our Passats. Nearly 20' of line on the V6 if you include replacing all of the thin hard lines that constantly crack.
what line do you recommend buying to replace it all?

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Ideally, 3.5mm inside diameter silicone hose. You can order it online, but you can use regular rubber hose, they just don't last as long or resist heat as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ideally, 3.5mm inside diameter silicone hose. You can order it online, but you can use regular rubber hose, they just don't last as long or resist heat as well.
?
for when I have some more cash and time to throw at her. right now the vacuum/pressure kit is the last thing i can buy for a while.

edited link. also photo:

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
"Page not found"
I don't blame you for waiting and depending on how long you plan to keep the car, it may be overkill.
I've used the silicone on my 1st 1.8T and used both on the V6. The silicone was still in good shape 15 years later. It depends on what you want for the car. Now that they are all at least 14 years old, most people just want to keep them running, not buy expensive parts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"Page not found"
I don't blame you for waiting and depending on how long you plan to keep the car, it may be overkill.
most people just want to keep them running, not buy expensive parts.
I adopted it because it was going to be scrapped...because the owners "mechanic" said it wasn't work fixing. so she hasn't cost me much (most expensive things to date have been tires) so less than 1K into it total (including the 200 they were going to get for scrapping it). I said well I can't make it any worse (and I am not a mechanic) plus I need a second vehicle because if I am working on the Passat I need my truck, or visa versa...because I need to go to work....and I can't afford to pay any one to work on my vehicles.

Sucks that the only garage I have access to is not heated...(its 34 in the sun right now, expecting 8 inches of snow tomorrow)

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I picked up my oldest son's 01.5 V6 5sp sedan for $1100 with only 57K on it 3 years ago. It had been sitting under an oak tree due to a bad waterpump for the previous year. It needed a lot of cleaning and squirrels had been living under the hood. Luckily, no wiring was damaged. I've done a ton of repairs besides the timing belt. Oil leaks, coolant leaks, mounts, axles, headlight wiring and brakes over the last 3 years. It's a great cheap car for him as he is not one to really take care of a car. It still has a crack across the bottom of the windshield, but it passes inspection.
Luckily he lives only 3 hours away and while I expect my garage is warmer than yours, I do use a small heater in it to keep the tropical plants alive when it's too cold outside. If I am working in it, I like to keep it above 50 as my hands get too stiff working in the cold without gloves.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If I am working in it, I like to keep it above 50 as my hands get too stiff working in the cold without gloves.
last year I used the little space heater I had....I actually tented the engine with moving blankets to try to get it to a point that I was working and not seeing my breath...
at times I would hit the engine with my IR thermometer...20's
floor I was lying on working under the truck or the passat...20's

pretty sure the extreme cold didn't help get rusted seized things on my truck come apart..perhaps why soooo many bolts snapped....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts