Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 1.8t
I've been diagnosing a starting issue, I cant get the motor to crank with the ignition or by hand. I'm trying to take off the starter motor now, and it wont budge. I've removed the two long bolts that attach it to the bell housing, as well as the smaller grounding bolt. I've hit it with a hammer and tried to pry between it and the block, but it will not move at all. Any suggestions on how to get it off?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
take out the bolt in the back behind the housing, the starter has two from the front and one from the back, it's a VW trademark (hidden secret bolts) and I could be wrong but I believe the one in back is a different size head

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
hope your battery is disconnected !!!!! Now you have me wondering if there are two or three bolts ,think there are just two and one is from the back. .......... regardless to remove you have to take off the bracket seen in picture, the two bolts in the picture support the end of the motor itself to the starter housing. The starter housing bolts to the bell housing, the bolts that hold it are the other end of the picture

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
O.K. just did a check, split as to bolt configuration is in 2004 year and up , so yours should have a bolt you will be able to see at the front of the starter housing (not the motor part as in your pic) but the aluminum casting/housing itself. On the backside of the bell housing there is another bolt that threads into the starter, very hard to see, have to wriggle hand in to feel it and put wrench on it to remove

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,586 Posts
Iirc it’s the hole on the lower right of this picture on my 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
This is with the trans and downpipe attached. You can see the bolt under the O2 sensor:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for you help guys. Ultimately, my starter didn't have a secret bolt, just the 2 big ones and the smaller grounding bolt. The starter finally broke loose when i really reefed on the crank in the opposite direction.

Finally found why my engine was seized. This all started cause the drive axle bolts had fallen out of the transmission flange, and the axle swung around and shredded a transmission mount. Clearly a bit of aluminum had found its way into one of those 2 bolt holes for the oil pan between the engine and transmission, and lodged itself into the teeth of the flywheel, jamming the starter and ultimately the engine. It took a ton of work to finally get this figured out, I hope my issues are behind me now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts