Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got some time today to start the port-matching and damn, aluminum can be VERY tough! I'm going to have to revise my forecast; engine to be completed by the end of the year, NOT the end of the summer.

I spent a good 2 hours on this first port, trying different coarseness. The picture of the port show's it probably 90% done:

The good news is, the cylinder heads aren't nearly as bad; since the gasket was centered, it's only a little bit of material all around. I think trying to blend in the grinded port is proving to be the "art" of porting.

All I can say right now is, the people that do this professionally for a living, EARN their keep! This is not easy; and I've got 16 ports!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Looks like fun :roll:

I always paid to have mine ported. I'm to lazy to do something myself that a pro could do in 2 days with the proper equipment.

But with your obvious attention to detail in just about everything we've seen you do, I have no doubt the end result will be perfect :wink:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I'd like to get this first one done right; according to the SA manual, I don't need to go much further than 1" beyond the surface. I am trying to get this done right even if it takes 2 months (instead of 2 days. :( ) but like everything else, I'm learning quite a bit and can really appreciate the work of a pro.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Ya I don't think your really need much more than 7/8" but don't quote me.

Ya the learning experience is definately worth its weight in gold. I just tend to wait till the last minute and then I need work done in a short time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.