Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here, and have never owned a VW before. I bought a 1999 Passat, V6, 5 speed, with 169K, and it runs and drives better than any car I've owned I swear, even at 12 years old. Lately though, when I take on and off ramps, or turn sharp, the engine stalls. I'm not sure if this is a shift light, or just a warning, but it's yellow, with a triangle in it? That comes on when it give it gas, and if I shift out of gear and back in, it usually goes away. It doesn't do anything like that on straight roads, just when I'm cornering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you mean a flashing circle with a triangle that pops up on your speedo?

If we are talking about the same thing, thats traction control working and limiting power to the slipping wheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not beating on it, and the tires are not squealing, it's just during normal driving, RPM's not over 3-3.5

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
something may be loose, a sensor may have rust and need cleaning or a bad abs ring

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mechanic didn't find any error codes at all, he said I need a new front control arm, so he's putting that in, but he doesn't think that stop the traction control from engaging. He said it could be a ABS sensor starting to go bad, but he's never seen one fail like this.

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
Are the tires the same size and are they near the same pressure? Did the mechanic clean the ABS sensors?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires are same size and wear, almost brand new. There was a bead leak in the driver front, and passenger rear, and the driver front tire had a cracked rim. I used the full size spare in the trunk, and put the original tire from the cracked rim on that. I got a used rim from a junk yard, and put the spare tire on that. Now all of the tires stay at the right pressure. When it had the cracked rim, and lost tire pressure, the traction control didn't come on. It's only now, after I fixed that?

·
22,610 Posts
I told you what it can most likely be. get to work.
if it is none of those then report back and then we shall see.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Took me a while (a few months) to figure out one like this.

Daughters Jetta would occasionally stall, misfire (verified with VCDS), etc. when it got wet out (heavy rain) or when going around certain corners (dry).

Ended up being the crank position sensor wire (up past it's connector) rubbing through the sheath and one wire intermittently grounding to metal.

Troubleshooting, I changed all plug wires, cap & rotor and plugs. As it had a distributor, I didn't think it even had a position sensor. Searching / reading online didn't help much. Then one day Rock Auto sent me an update of clearance parts they had for the 98 Jetta. Bingo, the light went on!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where do you find the abs ring? is it hard to get to? i'll see if there's anything on utube. i don't really know anything about vw's, so not sure where the sensors are. i'm having a mechanic replace the control arm on tuesday, and i'll ask him to check for loose sensors too.

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
The ABS ring is on the axle. If you pull the ABS sensor and look in the hole, you will see the ring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had to get new control arms for the upper and lower, and when they were putting them in, they realized that the tires were 60 series in the front, and 65 series in the back. I guess whoever had this car before lived with the traction control slowing the engine, but all I have to do is change the front tires to match the back, and it should stop. I have not done it yet, but I'm sure that's the problem. I write back to confirm after I get new tires.

·
22,610 Posts
I had to get new control arms for the upper and lower, and when they were putting them in, they realized that the tires were 60 series in the front, and 65 series in the back. I guess whoever had this car before lived with the traction control slowing the engine, but all I have to do is change the front tires to match the back, and it should stop. I have not done it yet, but I'm sure that's the problem. I write back to confirm after I get new tires.
I doubt that is your problem, especially if it never did it before you had work done.
on an AWD car maybe but not if it is FWD

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's front wheel drive, and is there a switch for this on the dash? I would like to just disable it like you said.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to get the front tires after work, so I'll let you know what happens after.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts