Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look of staggered set ups on our cars. I'm trying to purchase a set of staggered wheels (18x8 & 18x9) for my B5.5, but I want to weigh the pro's and con's. For reference, the suspension will probably be Neuspeed sport's and Bilisteins

I know a lot of you have run staggered set ups that looked amazing so I'd like to here your feed back. :bow: (Jdubu81, julianfang, P_sattvotex, etc....)

I've heard some negtive feedback like more understeer. For example:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92307

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
711 Posts
well you know either way i dont see a problem with it.. for those who have 4 motion.. they may say that you lose some of your 4 motion because now the wheel weight is uneven... i dont see an issue with them... ive been running them for over a year.. i know salty has been running staggered for a long time...

go for it... :thumbup:

james

·
Registered
828 Posts
Are you just staggering the size of the wheels or are you also going with different sizes of tires, too?

If you are only going for the wider wheel, you just pay a weight/rotational mass penalty of an extra 56-1/2 ( pi * 18 ) linear inches of wheel width. And you'll have faster tire wear because you probably wouldn't like the appearance when you rotate the tires and the wider rims end up in front.

OTOH, if you also use wider rubber in the back, you will aggravate the car's tendency to understeer.

My "fun" car came from the factory with staggered wheels (and, accordingly, different sized tires). Although they would "fit", they can't be rotated front-to-rear. And because I use directional rubber, rotating side-to-side means dismounting the tires. (I can chew through a set of rear tires in 8K miles.)

Of course, if you go with the wider wheel/tire in the front....

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The problem with staggered wheels and tires is understeer and not being able to rotate tires. So get ready to pay up when you need tires.

The good thing about it, is that it LOOKS DAMN GOOD :thumbup:
I personally feel that it is up to the owner's taste. If you like the look and are willing to sacrifice the understeer and rotation of tires. Then do it!!!!!! I did for a little while and probably will later on again.

Chris
ps I hope this helps out

·
Registered
216 Posts
I love my staggered set up. I've had staggered wheels on all my cars and nothign to complain about. The only con i have is the uneven wear on the tires. other than that there is no cons about it. As for pro's the looks you get from people when they see the 3 inch dish in the back is amazing. ! :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. :bow:

I currently use the car as a daily driver and spirited canyon drives only. I only put about 8000 miles on a year. That being the case, it sounds like I can get away with a staggered set-up. The change in understeer probably wont be an issue. Would a neuspeed rear sway help control it?

The bad part will be the fact that I can't rotate the tires. It sounds like I'll be buying at least a set of front tires a year. Any idea what the rough cost of 235/40-18 fronts or 245/40/18 rears?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Julian,

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on that. :)

If I'm going from stock to the staggered set-up with neuspeed sports and bilistiens, will there still be a handling improvement? :???:

Will a neuspeed sway bar control the understeer??

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I personally have not noticed ANY more understeer from going staggard, infact taking turns is so much more "crip" and responsive then before (tho thats probably cuz my stretched ass tires don't allow for any sidewall flex :D ) and I'm only running 215 in front. My suspension is set up to ~60% stiffness front and ~85% stiffness rear so it kinda acts like a sway bar cuz in the back there is no travel almost at all. Right now my car handles much better with staggard 17s then it ever did with non-staggard 19s, could be that there less rotational mass, who knows, all I know is that my current set is the best handling wheel/tire combo I've had on my passat, and I've had like 6 sets of wheels and tires on my ride already. :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
b5-turbonium said:
I personally have not noticed ANY more understeer from going staggard, infact taking turns is so much more "crip" and responsive then before (tho thats probably cuz my stretched ass tires don't allow for any sidewall flex :D ) and I'm only running 215 in front. My suspension is set up to ~60% stiffness front and ~85% stiffness rear so it kinda acts like a sway bar cuz in the back there is no travel almost at all. Right now my car handles much better with staggard 17s then it ever did with non-staggard 19s, could be that there less rotational mass, who knows, all I know is that my current set is the best handling wheel/tire combo I've had on my passat, and I've had like 6 sets of wheels and tires on my ride already. :p
Thanks for the info. I remember that you used to have a set of AMG's but I don't remember if they were staggered to. The set-up you have now look's great. It's definitely euro deep dish style.

Are you near the Los Feliz area? Anyone nearby you can recomend to install springs and dampers?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm looking at a set of staggered 19" Axis Milanos for I love the way they look, but I too am concerned about the staggered wheels and the uneveness of wear that many have reported.

Will staggered 19" tires wear out much sooner than say, an 18" size? How many miles are you guys getting from your tires with limited rotations?
Is the understeer that some have complained about increased with the bigger tire size?

b5 turbonium, can you expand on the differences that you feel between the 17" and 19" ride? What was bad about the 19" ride compared to what you have now?

I'm just questioning if I should go with a smaller tire size (staggered) for I'm also concerned about driving on LA freeways and such.....AND not having to buy new, expensive tires every year!

Sorry if these questions are redundant, but I've truly been seaching for answers and the seach function here doesn't help much.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.