Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 35-40MPH and beyond (road and wind noise most likely drowns out this sounds after that amount of speed) i've noticed a sqeaking noise that goes along with the rotations of my wheels. It seems to come from the driver side front wheel area and was bad in the cold but seemed to go away when the car warmed up but today it was about 50 degrees out and well after the car had warmed i noticed the noise. One day it seemed like it got momentarily louder while braking. Any ideas what it could be???

·
Registered
210 Posts
i wanna know what that is because my girl's 98 does it too. it kinda fades away when the wheel is turned to the right. ( and its not the brake pads)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm i didn't notice any difference with the turning. I'll have to check for that. Its kinda faint form inside the car (u have to have the radio off and stuff) but i rolled down the window one day while driving and it was much more audible outside.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My 98 is doing it too right now. If I remember, it only does it when it is cold out, and quits after traveling a few miles.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine seemed to stop after it got warm out also except today it didn't go away when the car warmed up. But when i went out later on tongiht there was no sound at all.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i notice it a lot more now that its been really cold here in Buffalo. It does stop when u have the wheel turned and it also the frequency increases when i brake. Someone thinks maybe a wheel bearing. It only seems to come from my driver side front wheel.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't think this is the culprit based on your description of the problem but I had a squeeking sound coming from the front passenger wheel area. After pulling the wheel and inspecting, I noticed the water shield on the inside of the rotor had been bent over toward the rotor and was rubbing. It happended after it snowed this fall so I'm guessing that the snow flew up and bent it over. I just pushed it back an inch or so and the sound went away.

Not sure if that helps you but it might help another.

Good luck.

Rob

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dunno if that would be the case since warmer weather makes the sound go away. Also i don't know what turning would do to change such a problem or braking for that matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts