Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
About a month ago, I encountered a prototype of an SUV that had that patterned, black-and white covering all over it to hide body contours and disguise what make and model it was - like in some of these photos. It even had that covering on the maker's emblem in the middle of the grille! The SUV's main body color was white (in areas not covered with that pattern). Try as I might, I just couldn't identify what brand it was, although it looked like something from one of the Japanese automakers. Sad to say, I did not get any pictures of the vehicle, otherwise I would have posted them here. Sorry, gang.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Where did you see it? That can give an indication on marque. When I lived in rural Alaska I saw lots of Audis and VWs winter testing. They did that out of Fairbanks, AK every year.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,599 Posts
Drove out to Death Valley a while back from LV and saw a tester. I think it was a Kia. Too crowded out here to have testers floating around. I do get to see a bunch of foreign spec cars being close to the embassies.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I saw the XJ220 before it was released, 2 were shipped by Fedex here, then trucked to the high-speed test track at Fort Stockon. I saw them on the way back and they were quite beat up at that time.

I also saw a Mercedes A class many years ago when it came in for testing. It was slightly larger than a Smart car, but smaller than a Golf.

We don't get as many cars now as when we first bought Flying Tigers.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I saw the XJ220 before it was released, 2 were shipped by Fedex here, then trucked to the high-speed test track at Fort Stockon. I saw them on the way back and they were quite beat up at that time.
I see some at the Goodyear test track outside of San Angelo on occasion but VAG does tire testing on the roads around here with a company just outside the base that specializes in tire testing for DOT and manufacturers. I'll see VAG cars there for a few days but the tend to be only a few months before their release in the US.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where did you see it? That can give an indication on marque. When I lived in rural Alaska I saw lots of Audis and VWs winter testing. They did that out of Fairbanks, AK every year.
I was driving through the town of Lombard, IL. That's one of the far western suburbs of Chicago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts