Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've been having some weird temperature fluctuations (10f to -30f in same day)
I noticed that the front end of our passat is creaking a lot over bumps, in the past few days. If it is parked and not running, and I bounce one of the corners, it lets out a good creak.
It doesn't seem to get any worse with the wheels turned, maybe a bit less squeaking. On smooth high speed surfaces (highway) it is fine.

My civic does the same thing when the weather is like this

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior for the weather, or if it's indicitive of something more

Thanks!

·
Banned
373 Posts
e7c said:
we've been having some weird temperature fluctuations (10f to -30f in same day)
I noticed that the front end of our passat is creaking a lot over bumps, in the past few days. If it is parked and not running, and I bounce one of the corners, it lets out a good creak.
It doesn't seem to get any worse with the wheels turned, maybe a bit less squeaking. On smooth high speed surfaces (highway) it is fine.

My civic does the same thing when the weather is like this

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior for the weather, or if it's indicitive of something more

Thanks!
Unfortunately, it is normal....just the rubber bushings being grumpy. Some have found a quick spray of teflon or white lithium to alleviate the noice. Sometimes, it can indicate something more serious like bushing failure altogether but only will be able to tell that by jacking up the front end and taking a peek.

Joe

·
Registered
103 Posts
I notice mine especially over larger bumps when there is a slower longer travel in the suspension. It seems loder in the rear and has been like that since new.
I think that it is louder than in many other cars, or maybe it just bugs me more because it is my own.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything looks to be in order.
I read something here about tie rod ends squeaking, and was concerned a major service job might be approaching.
I'd rather have some "normal" squeaking than costly repairs.

I'll hit it up with some white lithium to see if I can quiet it down

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know some squeaking is normal. However, mine was creaking loudly over large bumps. During my 15k service I had the steering rack bolts and stablizer bushings tightened/lubed. Worked for me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Out of the blue the front end sounded like old bed springs when going over a dip in the road. I took the car to the dealer and they said they disassembled and lubed up the front sway bar to fix it. All I can say is now the noise is gone.

g

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Point is that during winter, sand and salt are staying in between rubber bushings and metal and produce noise. i think that best to use is silicon grease it lasts much more than spray.
I have on fronts and rears PUR bushings and front I sprayed with silicon spray and rear greased. After 3-4 months front started to squeak again and rear is still dead quiet (booth of them I did in July). So, in week or so I will grease also front.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nenad said:
Point is that during winter, sand and salt are staying in between rubber bushings and metal and produce noise. i think that best to use is silicon grease it lasts much more than spray.
I have on fronts and rears PUR bushings and front I sprayed with silicon spray and rear greased. After 3-4 months front started to squeak again and rear is still dead quiet (booth of them I did in July). So, in week or so I will grease also front.
Cool,

Excuse my ingnorane, but what are PUR bushings, I would most definitly like to lube mine up as well. That is once I find out what they are. :???: :D

Thanks

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
PUR is PolyURethane, this kind of "rubber" is harder than OE rubber. Usually considered like cheap upgrade of suspension.Since they are stiffer than OE rubber they do not alloud stabilizer bars or other suspension components to "swim" to much and therefore limit cars' sway,yolk,roll,etc.
You have OE rubber (if you did not change it, or previous owner if you bought used car) bushings.anyhow it is much better to buy "reall" silicone grease than to use diff kinds of sprays (even silicon spray is $-hit, this is my experience).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nenad said:
PUR is PolyURethane, this kind of "rubber" is harder than OE rubber. Usually considered like cheap upgrade of suspension.Since they are stiffer than OE rubber they do not alloud stabilizer bars or other suspension components to "swim" to much and therefore limit cars' sway,yolk,roll,etc.
You have OE rubber (if you did not change it, or previous owner if you bought used car) bushings.anyhow it is much better to buy "reall" silicone grease than to use diff kinds of sprays (even silicon spray is $-hit, this is my experience).
Great,

Now which bushings to I lube? I would have rubber not "PUR". I so "know" the lingo now. :lol:

Thanks

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Check front sway bar bushings (if car is FWD you do not have rear sway, unless you installed it) if they squeek, release clamps move away bushings and grease inside diameter of bushing (you can even grease a little outside part, one that is in contact with clamp).Bushings are cut, so you do not have to dismantle full sway,just take them from bar.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ive had this since i bought the car (used with 50k) and brought it in several times. The car had new upper and lower control arm kits for left and lower for right. VW has blamed it on damper, sub frame being loose, anti-sway being loose. None of this has aleviated the noise. I have resigned myself to just live with it. chalk it up as one of those typical VW "nuances"

·
Registered
201 Posts
On a slightly different note, e7c you interested in a GTG with us other Passat lovin winterpegger's? I was going to PM you but could not find you in the Canadian members list. There's 4 of us and you so far, We're all driving variant's :crazy:, let me know if your in I,m trying to organize a time and place. We can also discuss the creeeeeaking problem as I have it too.

Cheers Frank :) :drink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the offer, but between my other car club meetings, and working on the various cars, I'm booked!
If you want, I recommend checking out the Winnipeg (not just)Sports Car Club www.wscc.mb.ca they have monthly meetings with loads of enthusiasts for every make and model of cars. We organize TSD rallies, Autocross, Road Race, and Ice Race events all year round!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Used to be a member years ago when I autocrossed, great club, but like you I'm busy, (raising a couple boys), If you find some time PM me. I wasn't suggesting a routine monthly meeting, but thought it might be nice to meet the other :b5: 'ers in our town.

Cheers Frank :) :drink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts