Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Based on the fact that you have a 98, I take it that you have 65K or more miles on your B5. The stock shocks on your B5 are beyond the point of optimal performance and if you add lowering springs to that, you will experience a very bouncy 'uncontrolled' ride. Hence, I don't recommend putting on sport springs unless you are prepared to replace the shocks.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Sebaflex said:
what springs could i run with the stock shocks o a '98 1.8T..?
You could run any spring with the stock shocks. The downside is that the upgraded springs will cause your stock shocks to wear out very quickly and make the ride unbearable, especially on a 6 year old car!

It sounds like price is an issue with your decision. A friend of mine was in the same boat when we were working on a B5 that he just purchased at auction. Take a look at KWSuspensions' Sport Suspension Kit which includes a lowering spring and shocks. It's priced very well, and the ride is awesome!!

Here's the part number for the components for a 98-01 B5 Sedan. 250-80-042 (Springs) and 201-80-042 (Shocks/dampers).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Definite no no. Your OEM shocks will go real fast. And end up you'll spend another amount of labor to change the shocks. Do your shocks and springs together since same amount of work is put in i.e. same price whether you do only springs, or do both springs and shocks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
hey flex, i feel your dilema man, i'm about to get my H&R sport springs and im on a VERY tight budget, my plan of action is to get the front struts FIRST since i have 102k miles i KNOW they're not going to wrk. then in the near future, get the two back struts replaced (rears shocks are very easy to replace!). remember that there is a lot more weight on the front than the rear, not to mention they are more worn out........ anyway you look at it you're gonna have to spent the same amount of time and money. i work on my own car so i can afford to take this plan of action. but if your paying, i would highly recomend to do it all at once, and save yourself ALOT of time and regrets. :b5:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I just installed neuspeed sports on my oem shocks. I decided to go this route because I cannot afford the shox this year. Ther old shock are still good, however the car is sometimes bouncy when I drive over a bump.
I put the springs myself so I dont see a problem with redoing it one more time.
I you go for a look you can put the springs only for now. If you go for performance, install springs + shox

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I bet your B5 has, as said before, around 60K miles on it. The shocks are cruddy already, and added aftermarket springs will just damage them more. Do the shocks and your Passat a favor and replace them with some Koni adjustables.

As for springs, most people are running some kind of Neuspeed springs... whether it be Race or SofSport, I don't think there is a difference.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
sebaflex- i have 03 1.8T with 46K miles on it.....

i put the neuspeed sport springs on at 40K without the shocks and i couldn't
stand the bounciness in the front especially..... so i changed the fronts only with koni's and it's much better than before....

i set the fronts 1/2 turn from the soft but i would go 1 full turn if i do it again tho...

good luck

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
As for springs, most people are running some kind of Neuspeed springs... whether it be Race or SofSport, I don't think there is a difference.
Neuspeed Sport lower the car 1.5-1.7 inch and the Softsports .7-.9 of an inch.
THe Soft are more OEM-like, where the Sports are more stiff adn sporty.
I have the sports and I love them so far the cornering is great;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys .. thanks for the Replies

i guess my Best Bet is to save up a lil' bit more and get a Spring/Shock combo like FK Cupkit or KW Cupkit ..

I wanted to go Eibach w/ Bilsteins but too much Moneyyy$$ :cry:

Thnx again :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sebaflex said:

i guess my Best Bet is to save up a lil' bit more and get a Spring/Shock combo like FK Cupkit or KW Cupkit ..

The other route to take is get the Eibach Pro System. At Shox.com it retails for $579 USD and includes the springs and shocks. If you are a Vortex memeber, there is an extra discount. Just email them for prices and tell them you a Vortex member. The kit lowers your car 1.5 in all the way around and you get a great ride with some sportiness since the shocks are tuned for the springs. The Bilsteins are not tuned for these springs. I have the Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach Pro Kit springs setup but am thinking of replacing the Bilsteins for the Eibach shocks since the ride will improve and still have the performance that I am looking for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kodomokid said:
Sebaflex said:

The other route to take is get the Eibach Pro System. At Shox.com it retails for $579 USD and includes the springs and shocks. If you are a Vortex memeber, there is an extra discount. Just email them for prices and tell them you a Vortex member. The kit lowers your car 1.5 in all the way around and you get a great ride with some sportiness since the shocks are tuned for the springs. The Bilsteins are not tuned for these springs. I have the Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach Pro Kit springs setup but am thinking of replacing the Bilsteins for the Eibach shocks since the ride will improve and still have the performance that I am looking for.
Thanks dude... i'll take a look at them right now :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.