Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am halfway through self-installing koni sports and H&R OEs on my B5.5. The konis come with their own lower spring perches and rubber spring supports. Bentley says for the OEM shocks the lower spring perch should be installed such that the hole in it is offset 90 degrees to the shock bolt axis. The lower support is supposed to line up with the lower perch with a groove in the perch. This would seem to put the spring alignment in a very specific spot with regards to where the end of the spring contacts the rubber stop in the spring support.

The problem is, with the konis, there is no such alignment markers to tell you how to align the lower spring support, so I don't know how to line up the spring. How critical is it to line up the end of the spring in a specific orientation with the shock. I already installed one side, have to go back for the second tomorrow.

Any immediate help would be greatly appreciated.

ps this is not about the 11 degree alignment of the upper spring plate, that is not a problem.

Edit:

I finished the other side. I tried to line up the axis of the spring so that the offset from the shock bolt axis was the same on either side, but its not the same amount as the OEM springs. It looks pretty close to level from one side to the other. Would still appreciate opinions on whether or not this is an issue.

·
Registered
26,811 Posts
Not a problem.

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have 2 opinions here saying no problem, one from someone else saying this will adversely affect camber.

Driving so far has been great. Definitely a noticeable improvment in terms of roll and dive. Car tracks straight, no clunks or funny noises. Looks pretty level too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts