Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using G2 caliper paint on these rotor hats and want to use my HVLP sprayer rather than brushing for a quality finish.

Has anyone thinned this paint and sprayed with good long term results? What ratio did you use of the 2 paint parts to the thinner? I assume 2-3 light coats would work best.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Bump...why you wanting to paint them?...they look ok to me as-is. I'm assuming the hats are aluminum...could you have somebody anodize or powdercoat them instead???

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaddyMatt said:
Bump...why you wanting to paint them?...they look ok to me as-is. I'm assuming the hats are aluminum...could you have somebody anodize or powdercoat them instead???

I want them blue because I'm anal about the details of my car. I want "better than ok" for the look and ECS didn't pay me to sport there ugly etched logo so it's gettting covered. :lol:

Anodizing blue over black would require machining the face smooth down to silver for good color coverage. I confirmed that with an anodozing shop. Powder coating is not chemically designed to resist brake dust as well as the chemical composition of the quality 2 parts caliper paint. I confirmed that with a powder coater. (or maybe he didn't want the liabiltiy if the finish went south later)

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I think Scott wants to avoid the ECS-Tuning etching on them, and to mainly go wth his theme of the car.

Scott, dont have any ideas but I think thinning the paint may not give it the best adhession. Dunno, try it out an see, you're an innovative guy.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Scott- Good answers...sounds like you've done your homework! That blue sounds pretty good, post some pictures for us when they're done. :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Did you ask the anodizer to give you a deep etch to remove the color as well as the logo etching on the metal.

Is the original black color anodize or paint ??

Bill

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill in Mtl said:
Did you ask the anodizer to give you a deep etch to remove the color as well as the logo etching on the metal.

Is the original black color anodize or paint ??

Bill
The logo is etched in about 1/32" on the black anodized hat. That deep of etch becomes full bore sandblasting to remove that much a material across the entire surface and a shop could never blast the finish back to a milled smooth consistency like the machine finish.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I think I'd ask the queation to the G2 manufacturer.. It sounds like a 2 part system and maybe adding a thinner to the mix is going to alter the chemical balance and possibly the resistance to heat.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Scott

I have to disagree with your powder coater, My brother has had his calipers on his Rx-7 powdercoated for years and the they are not affected by brake dust in the least. There are several varietes of poweder coat some are much more durable than others.

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are additionally numerous pneumatic models and air-helped airless sprayers for the individuals who favor this kind of machine or think that its increasingly handy for the specific needs of their activity. For instance, pneumatic sprayers are frequently best for furniture completing, and Graco doesn't disregard this market either. You can check out his latest post about best airless paint sprayer under 300 Reviews.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts