Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enquired locally at 2 spray shops about painting the bumpers and skirts on my car and was sent packing by both
of them. 'Too risky....its gonna peel' apparently.

looking at the cars on this sight it would appear not. i know some of you have had some trouble,
but what should i be telling these guys in order to have this job done correctly? how did u paint the black and get a decent job?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
You shouldn't be telling them anything, if they don't know how to do it, don't have them work on your car.

As for how it's done, the shop many of us on the east coast work with, AutoFix, sands down the valences, then they put a gelcoat on and then spray with 2 stage paint/clear with alot of flex additive mixed in. You can go direct to paint with minimal prep, but the pieces will have a texture when they are done.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Where is AutoFix in NY? If it's close enough, I'll drive up.

Vorn, I'd recommend not using petroleum-based dressing and stuff, like Back-to-Black and such, then maybe you could prep them yourself. Clean them with rubbing alcohol, sand 'em down (so they're pretty smooth, have no 'bumpy texture', then send the car to them again.

Make sure they use a flex agent in the paint. If they do it, that is...

Good luck. It'll look really good if it's done right. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.