Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I experienced a rough idle start in the morning and 10 minutes later got the infamous "Emissions Workshop" warning. Brought it to VW for a diagnosis and said the codes seen indicate "Sporadic Misfire". Car has 63,000 miles and plugs were replaced at 40,000.

VW suggested replacing all the plugs and spark plug wires. The woman on the phone quoted:
6 Plugs $50
Wires $90
Labor $140 (2 hours)

She insisted that the OEM plugs were platinum and only platinum plugs were recommend (hence $8-$9 /plug).

So my questions are:

1. Are platinum plugs really required? I don't mind spending the money if there is value/performance to be gained here.
2. With a proper torque wrench and brain is it reasonable to expect I can change the wires and plugs myself to save the $140?
3. What plugs and wires should I buy? Is the stock/OEM VW parts my best option?

VW rates have gotten a little out of hand and any repairs I can do myself just saves money for more mods (or beer depending on my stress level).

Thanks all.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I'm a 1.8t owner, but I strongly suspect that you could get better, cheaper parts from the aftermarket. A lot of people here run denso plugs that cost less than $2 apiece and they swear by them. Again, I'm not sure how much this applies to the V6. Someone here with a V6 will chime in.

Yea, DIY.

Regards,

Kenny

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
$130 for a wire set is a good price for the Bosch... they have a lifetime warranty.

In regards to plugs... many have used the Bosch platinum +4 with great success. There are Denso plugs for the V6 (as with the 1.8T), but you can assume about 1/4 the life of the plug with the Denso (as recorded in both engines). They work well, just not as long, so the savings disappears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How difficult is the installation of the wires and plugs?? Don't really feel like spending $140 with VW if I can reasonably do it myself.

·
6,165 Posts
It's a piece of cake. There are 'pullers' (plastic handles that snap on the plug end to make it easier to pull them out) that are attached to the plug wire's (should be one or two on your car already.

and the plugs are a no brainer... you just need the correct sized socket, a 6-" extension, and a torque wrench. No way I'd pay $140 for a 20-40 minute job... just take your time, and go one at a time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did my plugs on Saturday. You can get the OEM NGK plugs from Napa for about $6 each. A set of wires is about $130 (haven't looked much - that was at ECS). As for the work, it's not hard if you know what you are doing. Keep everything clean (no dirt in the engine) and be carful threading the plugs so as not to strip the head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought a set of Bosch Platinum +4 plugs from local auto parts store and two sets of spark plug cables from local VW (1-3) and (4-5). Installation took about 50 minutes b/c I found some urge to clean the plastic engine coverings along after I removed them. Job was very straightforward.

Two points to note:
1. A 4" socket extensioin is ideal. I only had a 6" and getting at the rear passenger cylinder (# 3 I think) was tough b/c the extension kept hitting the air intake.
2. Getting at cylinder #6 (rear driver) you must remove the coolant resevoir. Not difficult given it is only 3 screws.

So all, save the 2 hour VW labor charge and do it yourself. Plenty of folks on this board can help you out. And besides, you'll certainly get a closer look at your engine, check for wear, do a little cleaning, etc.

Thanks all. Perhaps someone could take pictures and make changing the plugs and wires a permanent post.

·
6,165 Posts
two sets of spark plug cables from local VW (1-3) and (4-5)

You got screwed... what about the #6 wire!!!! :lol:

Glad to hear it went smooth. Did you find/ use the pink/orange plastic wire puller? Saves the fingers big time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually my car used to pull a ton to the left so I thought if I only hooked up 2 of the 3 cylinder on the driver side (4 & 5) the right side of the engine would have more power and the car would driver straighter. So now I have a 5 cylinder 25 valve engine. Works like a champ!

Just kidding (yes I got wires 4-6). Here's a thought for VW. They did a great job of labeling the wire set (1-6). Just how much more difficult would it be to label the spark plug holes and the front spark plug wire junction box. Heck, all they woud have to do is put a label on the under side of the protective plastic shields, not even on the engine itself.

In any case, yes those orange plastic wire pullers are great. Any now I have 4 (2 from the old set and 2 new ones). After another replacement I'll have a full set!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts