Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this morning i was on my way home from my friends house doing 90-95 mph when a cop gets on the freeway behind me and pulls me over, i saw him a half mile back, but he was on to me like flies on sugar, so he pulled me over and said " you were late to get over" i said "What?" and he said "i had to do 110 to catch up to you and i saw that you saw me and tried to get over but you were too slow" and so he wrote me a ticket for 84+, he said if he wrote the 92mph that i was going i would not be eligible for traffic school, so he put it under 85mph.

OK so I am a college student and it is hard for me to come up with the money for the ticket, has anyone in California gotten out of a ticket in this type of situation?

$$$ :Yikes: $$$

·
Registered
353 Posts
well in connecticut the 85+ ticket which i got recently was 294$ i plea not guilty go to courthouse and prosecutor gives reduced sentence and dropped it to 70$ i was also doing 92 but the cop gave me the ticket for 85+ thats how it works here i don't know bout california

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya im aware about the slow down part and i am going to the traffic school. But when you plead not guilty what did the cop say?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
At the very least I would go to court. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, if the traffic officer does not show up you'll get off the hook. If he does show up I believe you can request for calibration records for the radar gun, I think it's supposed be calibrated x times per year.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
dont go into traffic court and start requesting calibration of this and records of that because most of what people tell you to ask for is complete BS or it dosent work for your state. Also, it makes you look like a moron in front of everyone when the judge goes wtf you talking about. You need to talk to someone in CA who had the same problem and ask what options THEY had not what they heard their friend's half-brother got.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
dont go into traffic court and start requesting calibration of this and records of that because most of what people tell you to ask for is complete BS or it dosent work for your state. Also, it makes you look like a moron in front of everyone when the judge goes wtf you talking about. You need to talk to someone in CA who had the same problem and ask what options THEY had not what they heard their friend's half-brother got.
Who cares if you look like a moron? It's a learning experience, I think you only look like a moron if you don't ask questions. Besides that it's not rocket science, the radar gun is a tool that needs calibrated, whether it's once a year or once every 3 years, it still needs calibrated and it should have calibration records. I took all of 10 seconds to do a google search and find this from from some free online legal searching:

I got this from law.freeadvice.com:

Q: Does a speeding motorist have the right to see the radar gun?

A: You have a right to see the gun and to see the basis for which the cop is stopping you. You'll need to do some work, but you can also subpoena the calibration records for the gun. In California, for example, if it wasn't calibrated within the last 10 days of your stop, you win.
I don't know if that interval is correct or not but again, my point is that it's certainly a valid question. You could look it up, you could also call a lawyer and ask them. I talked to several lawyers over the phone about a legal question I had (nothing to do with speeding or the like) and I asked up front if there was a charge for their time and they said "not at all" in my particular situation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I dont know, you might look like a moron but their is nothing wrong with checking with out whether or not the police officer issuing the ticket has his/her stuff together. it sure bets paying a average of $300-400 dollars plus a year in insurance.IMHO

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I dont know, you might look like a moron but their is nothing wrong with checking with out whether or not the police officer issuing the ticket has his/her stuff together. it sure bets paying a average of $300-400 dollars plus a year in insurance.IMHO
And that's what I was driving at too. I didn't mean to imply that I would just walk in blindly and start mumbling and stumbling about aimlessly. I mean I would just pay the damn thing, if it were me, because I'm lazy but if I set my mind to fight it, I would damn sure look into what angle I could take.

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
Hire a traffic lawer. Find recommendations for a good one in your area that will make his fees contingent on you winning the case, because they almost always do win. You'll probably have to spend close to the cost of the ticket (~$300) in lawer fees, but it won't go on your record, so it'll save you a ton of money in the long run.

There's a guy in Seattle named Mitch Greene that has almost become the official traffic lawer in the PNW forums on Vortex because he's saved a lot of people a lot of money. Find a guy like him in your area and you're golden. :thumbup:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
This pisses me off, you broke the law by speeding, you got caught, pay up and quit bitching.

Buy a radar detector if you're worried or better yet slow down.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Look around for a cheap lawyer. Here in Vegas there is a law firm that will represent you for free and they reduce any moving violation to a parking ticket (expensive one, but no records and no school).

I got a ticket doing 18 over and simply dropped my ticket off to them. 5 months later, I got a notice to send the city a check for $100. They basically go into court with 1000+ tickets and negotiate with the judge to reduce them....city still gets their money and the drivers get off and the city doesn't waste their time fighting 1000+ tickets.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Got to pay to play. Go to traffic school and keep it off your record. In TX we have deferred adjucation. Pay the fine and keep your record clean for 3 or 6 months (don't remember which) and it will not be on your record.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
This pisses me off, you broke the law by speeding, you got caught, pay up and quit bitching.

Buy a radar detector if you're worried or better yet slow down.

ya man get a valentine :) i want one but i dont really speed too much. I do have a cobra detector but i dont trust it too much.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you go to court, request to have a "trial by declaration". This allows you to write your defense and submit it to the courts for their review and judgement. The thing about this is that the citing officer also has to write in their side of the story. Unlike a court appearance, where the officer gets paid to be there, they do not get paid to write their letter. If they fail to submit their letter, you win.

Should the judgement not decide in your favor, you have a second chance by requesting a "trial de novo" (new trial). This is essentially a request for a court trial (which you would have done if you didn’t try the “declaration” process). The previous judgement is thrown out and you get another chance to plead your case in court. Once again, if the citing officer does not show, you win.

Worst case scenario, you pay your original fine and no traffic school although it seems common for defendants to get a reduction in the fine when they appear in court. Just be polite and don’t be an arse.

·
Registered
353 Posts
well here is how it works in Connecticut. Just because u plea not guilty when you go to court the first time its not for your hearing. You go and everyone else who pleas not guilty goes in it happens 2 days a week. The prosecutor gives a reduced sentence anyone willing to take it still considered guilty but you pay much less. For example my speeding ticket was 294 and i paid 70. If you are so sure your innocent you can chose to have a trial at which point the cop comes in and 9/10 times you lose :p. thats how it works in Connecticut courts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts