Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a rumor I had heard a while back, seeing if any one can back me up on this... if you get a speeding ticket in a state which you do not live in, do the points still transfer?

what i had heard was the when you get the ticket you just pay them by mail or somethin and maybe give them 10 bucks extra so it "leaves your file open" probobly something i heard when i was having a few :beer: :beer: well just seeing if any one else had heard this.

Anthony

·
0 Posts
No points, just cash! It's true 5 out 50 states agreed with me so far! :oops: :lol:

·
0 Posts
NJ hit me for the cash no points and i was speeding, PA i paid the same day no points.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
AgizziB5 said:
what i had heard was the when you get the ticket you just pay them by mail or somethin and maybe give them 10 bucks extra so it "leaves your file open" probobly something i heard when i was having a few :beer: :beer: well just seeing if any one else had heard this.
Yeah right. I think you've hit on the real issue there...a few too many :beer: :beer: . :wink:

There is no amount of truth to that.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Uh, Dave -- I don't think that was the issue here. ;)

The answer is "it depends." States probably have reciprocity agreements, but there may certain conditions -- i.e., if the ticket is for less than a certain amount, they don't bother.

For example, I got a speeding ticket in NJ back in December 1999 (80 in a 50). I plea-bargained it down to 64 and paid the fine (and court costs). I think NJ and NY have an agreement, but it has to hit a certain threshold for the points to transfer. Because I didn't hit that threshold (by plea bargaining it down), the points didn't transfer -- as far as NY and my insurance company are concerned, I have a completely clean driving record.

Same goes for MA, I think -- got stopped in March 1995 for 72 in a 55, it got written down to 65. Paid the fine, never heard anything about it again.

Andy

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
J-RAD said:
AgizziB5 said:
Yeah right. I think you've hit on the real issue there...a few too many :beer: :beer: . :wink:

There is no amount of truth to that.
Exactly!!

If you don't pay them the correct amount..if you live out of state they will most likely issue a warrant for you if you were to be pulled over again in their state.(Trust me.. I had to bail my buddy out in CO for a ticket he only paid half of 4yrs ago) If you did this in your own state, they would simply keep sending you reminders and then eventually suspend your liscense or garnish your tax return or your paycheck till it's paid.

People also think that if you write a check for a little more than the fine that it will leave the file open since you gave them too much money. Not true, they will simply send you a check for the difference(been there..tried that).

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Uh, Dave -- I don't think that was the issue here. ;)

Andy
But he said:

what i had heard was the when you get the ticket you just pay them by mail or somethin and maybe give them 10 bucks extra so it "leaves your file open" probobly something i heard when i was having a few well just seeing if any one else had heard this.
So in my mind he had 2 questions.

1. Recipriprocity between states, which was covered.
2. File left open by over payment, which hadn't been covered.

·
0 Posts
But guys listen if you don't pay they will issue an arrest warrant for your ass! :nervous:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Guys ... I think some of you are missing the point:

If you plead guilty by mail to just about any offence, the court will send you a bill to pay. If you overpay the amount they will issue you a refund check for the difference. *** DO NOT CASH THAT CHECK **** Until the financial transaction is complete (by chasing the refund check) they will NOT post the points to your record. It's a stupid technicality but I know for a fact that it works.

The rest about states transferring points and information between each other is irrelevant in this case.

Alex

·
0 Posts
I tried that over paying crap i got a check back with the difference, it does not work in my brooklyn!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
AlexNYC said:
Guys ... I think some of you are missing the point:

If you plead guilty by mail to just about any offence, the court will send you a bill to pay. If you overpay the amount they will issue you a refund check for the difference. *** DO NOT CASH THAT CHECK **** Until the financial transaction is complete (by chasing the refund check) they will NOT post the points to your record. It's a stupid technicality but I know for a fact that it works.

The rest about states transferring points and information between each other is irrelevant in this case.

Alex
SORRY!!!!! Buzzzzzzzzz!!

Wrong answer. My roommate from like 8yrs ago tried this and it still went on his record. It did take about 3/4mon longer than normal to take effect but non-the-less they could care less if you cash it or not. The check's are just like any other check....they do have an exp. date and if you don't cash it you'll not only be out the extra you paid...but regardless it will still go on your record.

As far as the points being transfered that is a completely diff story. I'm sure that in most cases states the share a border with each other are willing to transfer such info. That way they have a better idea of what type of individual travels their roads..etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As far as NY goes:

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets

If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts