Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for the most part I have been lucky with speed bumps. I either have found ways of avoiding them or I can take them really slowly and clear it fine. However, some speed bumps are unusually high or have a sharp "angle" to them and no matter how slow I go I still bump against them. High school parking lots are the worst offenders. Since I teach at several area schools I've had to find ways of going around and avoiding them.

What I don't know is what exactly is it Im hitting on the underside of my car and is it doing much damage? ive only done this maybe 3 or 4 times. And even if I hold the brake as I slooooooowly go over the bump I will still hear and feel the speed bump hit some metal part underneath the car. I see what looks like metal "tabs" on each side that I've only seen used as jack points for a floor jack but Im not exacty sure what they are. Im guessing this is what is hitting but I dont know.

·
Registered
831 Posts
do you have your belly pan? if you don't you might still have the tabs to hold it, which was the case for me anyways, and they hang down a ways

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I have it. all the screws are on too. I wouldnt drive even at stock height without it. Now that Im lowered Im thinking of going with a metal one at some point.

It isnt the oil pan as the oil pan is in front of the wheels and I dont bump until after the wheels clear the speed bump. Plus the sound is solidly metallic. I know the plastic belly pan isnt indestructable, but I can tell it isnt plastic thats getting hit.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
could it be the transmission fluid pan? I've read about people damaging that as a result of bottoming out.
I've found it helps to cross over the speed bumps at an angle, rather than straight on.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
No I have it. all the screws are on too. I wouldnt drive even at stock height without it. Now that Im lowered Im thinking of going with a metal one at some point.

It isnt the oil pan as the oil pan is in front of the wheels and I dont bump until after the wheels clear the speed bump. Plus the sound is solidly metallic. I know the plastic belly pan isnt indestructable, but I can tell it isnt plastic thats getting hit.
I get the same metallic noise after I clear bumps. It's the sills of the car as far as I can tell. I thought it was my mudflaps to start with, but the noise is wrong.

Not had a chance to get under the car to see what, if anything, is scuffed.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had success taking a few at an angle. I will try that again, although the last time I didnt have much of a chance to due to heavy traffic. When going at an angle, should one wheel clear the bump entirely before the other?

What exactly are the "sills" you refer to?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
the flex coupler on the stock exhaust drags over everything on my car. I't warn a hole thought the wire mesh. What spring are you using?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neuspeed sports with Koni Yellows. I have a 2.25" drop in the front.

When it does "bump" it feels pretty solid and it seems to be coming from closer to the side of the car (though I could be wrong)

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what I thought regarding the tabs/jack points that I think Im hitting. In that case I wouldnt think its relly hurting anything provided I dont make a habit of it.

I have to say though, despite my concerns, lowering the car has really increased my enjoyment of driving it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Neuspeed sports with Koni Yellows. I have a 2.25" drop in the front.

When it does "bump" it feels pretty solid and it seems to be coming from closer to the side of the car (though I could be wrong)

damn, the neuspeed sports are rated at 1.5" drop....how did you get 2.25??

is that wat it comes out to on everyones car??

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I've had success taking a few at an angle. I will try that again, although the last time I didnt have much of a chance to due to heavy traffic. When going at an angle, should one wheel clear the bump entirely before the other?

What exactly are the "sills" you refer to?
Thats what I thought regarding the tabs/jack points that I think Im hitting. In that case I wouldnt think its relly hurting anything provided I dont make a habit of it.

I have to say though, despite my concerns, lowering the car has really increased my enjoyment of driving it.
The sills - open the door, that bit you climb over is a sill. The underside of that is another sill.

As you said in the second quote, the jack points are on the sills.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ah! ok I knew what the door sills were. Im guessing this is just atached to the frame and isnt something that will get damaged that easily? (I hope)

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
damn, the neuspeed sports are rated at 1.5" drop....how did you get 2.25??

is that wat it comes out to on everyones car??
No one really gets the advertised drop. All springs seem to drop more than the advertised rate. Most people I knew with Neuspeeds got about 1.8". But yes, it still dropped a bit more than I expected.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
You would be hitting the subframe connectors. It is not unusual and should not cause damage. I find taking the speed bumps faster eliminated the drop and bottoming (but abuses the shocks).

How is the rake? We can raise the front a couple of turns easily enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've hit my subframe several times. The lowest point is only two and a half inches from the ground. It's kind of a pain in the a$$ to drive somethimes, but I'd never go back to stock. Funny thing is, I'd like to go lower. Now I just avoid speed bumps, steep parking garages and parking lots in general as often as I can. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts