Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I live in Northern Ontario, where the calendar consists of winter and 1 month of bad skiing. The Car in question is a B6 2.0T MT wagon. Tire priorities are as follows:

- COLD weather performance (-30 to -40C is not uncommon)
- Ice and packed snow performance
- deep(er) snow performance, as our lane is rarely plowed
- wet or dry road performance, as well as tread life is secondary

I have narrowed the winter tire choices down to three possibilities from Nokian, but have three questions:

1 - Which model would you recommend for the conditions listed above: Hakkapeliitta 2, 4 or RSi?

2 - I plan on mounting on the factory 16" steelies. Factory size is 215/55/16. What would be a comparable size to achieve a narrower footprint, while fitting on the rim and retaining a similar outside diameter?

3 - What are your thoughts on running studs on a Passat (wagon?) ...are they unbearably loud when driving long stetches of clear pavement?

Thanks for your help (EH!)
kaNUK

PS - I know there are lots of other great brands of winter tires, but would like to stick with the Hakkapeliitas. I've done enough homework on these that I can actually spell and pronounce the name :rolleyes:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
You forgot the Hakkapeliitta 1s. I had 4 of these studded on my FWD '99 Passat and never had a problem. Felt like I had 4WD. Living near Syracuse we are in the snow belt and also frequently see -20*F or ~-28*C. Traction very good. My son plays hockey so many times we are on the roads early in the morning before the plows are out. If you can't find the Hakka 1s get studded Hakka 2s.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I don't think Hakka 1s are available anymore. I would go with Hakka 2s. That's what I will be getting for my B5.

I've had Hakka 1s before and the treadwear was excellent, snow performance was incredible, wet and slush excellent, and ice was competant. Hakkas are the only winter tire I have ever owned that got my happy about driving in snow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your replies!

Tom: One further question.

How is the noise level with studs when encountering clear pavement? I realize the tremendous traction advantages with studs, but will do the occasional 2000 mile round trip this winter. Will I need to wear earplugs with studded tires? :(

Thanks again

kanUK

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Thanks for your replies!

Tom: One further question.

How is the noise level with studs when encountering clear pavement? I realize the tremendous traction advantages with studs, but will do the occasional 2000 mile round trip this winter. Will I need to wear earplugs with studded tires? :(

Thanks again

kanUK
kanUK,

I didn't feel that the noise was excessive. Not much more than my summer tires. Years ago I was having my B3 variant serviced during the winter and aftre driving my car the tech asked me if it was 4WD!! These studded tires (my son calls them nails) are great for a FWD car. In addition, they handled well on dry pavement.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Hi all.

I live in Northern Ontario, where the calendar consists of winter and 1 month of bad skiing. The Car in question is a B6 2.0T MT wagon. Tire priorities are as follows:

- COLD weather performance (-30 to -40C is not uncommon)
- Ice and packed snow performance
- deep(er) snow performance, as our lane is rarely plowed
- wet or dry road performance, as well as tread life is secondary

I have narrowed the winter tire choices down to three possibilities from Nokian, but have three questions:

1 - Which model would you recommend for the conditions listed above: Hakkapeliitta 2, 4 or RSi?

2 - I plan on mounting on the factory 16" steelies. Factory size is 215/55/16. What would be a comparable size to achieve a narrower footprint, while fitting on the rim and retaining a similar outside diameter?

3 - What are your thoughts on running studs on a Passat (wagon?) ...are they unbearably loud when driving long stetches of clear pavement?

Thanks for your help (EH!)
kaNUK

PS - I know there are lots of other great brands of winter tires, but would like to stick with the Hakkapeliitas. I've done enough homework on these that I can actually spell and pronounce the name :rolleyes:
Man, that's rough. Why do you live so far north?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because I like it up here?

LOL ...rough?

Not really. I get to ski for almost 6 months out of the year, and drive sideways down snow covered back-roads :D

Tom: Thanks for your feedback. I'm leaning towards a set of studded Hakka 2s now.

ESP = OFF!

kaNUK

PS - Long term project will be an ice-racer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts