Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in this thread, I got new Martin Logan speakers. And now I want an amplifier for them! I am looking for 7 channels, 200W/ch @ 8ohm.

I found a few, and this happened to nearly blow my mind - there is a Sherbourn amplifier that meets my requirements, but uses TWO A/C CORDS!!! At peak power (assuming 4ohm speakers actually when it is 300W/ch) it needs more than 15amps!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
you kinda backed yourself into a corner with those spkrs. they really need decent amps to drive them.

when I told you about my hafler, I was thinking in 'old school' stereo only. then you could have a real massive amp drive the main 2 and figure out something lower power for all the rest (since they're really STILL not as important as the main 2). hassle, yes. cheap, no!

if you need ML quality amps for all 7 channels, better figure on selling your b5 ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
linux-works said:
if you need ML quality amps for all 7 channels, better figure on selling your b5 ;) ;)
Haha, no, luckily i have a brand new car, so no mods b/c of warantee. And it is a GLX so no chips to buy. but of course, i'm not getting Krell or McIntosh, those cost more than my speakers!

Too bad I will have to run them off my Denon receiver for a few weeks though. It will work (demo'd with a Denon) but won't sound nearly as good - but at least I will have them running.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
if you buy a mcintosh system, I hear they throw that hover-platform in for gratis

;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you are up to try more "mainstream" amps ... Marantz, Adcom and Parasound make some nice monoblock amps that *I think* would be up to the task

Cheaper than some options but its not a Sony!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking along the lines of B&K, Sherbourn, possibly a used Sunfire.
Adcom was recommended to me but I was told they are budget -- sounds like otherwise Swirv. And I'll look at those other ones too!

But, I was looking at multichannel amps though, since I do have 5 MLs to run!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Check out http://www.audioadvisor.com/ sometimes they have incredible floor models for good prices... They are my "sit back and dream" collection of choice...

Let us know if you find something decient for under $1000... I'm looking to upgrade from my yamaha...

What denon are you not doing those bad boys justice with?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
upshot - I'm using the Denon 2803. 90w/ch x 7ch. It will still be my preamp though; can't afford a true component system. And i'm sorry I wont be able to help you because i'm looking for the $2k range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
gig103
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing