Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume most of you cover your wires for extra longevity, protection? I replaced my OEM crumbling stuff years ago, and that replacement is now crumbling. No idea where i got it.

I know this seems like a no-brainer, but I can't seem to find 1/4" spark plug wire split loom that is cheap and also meets higher temp requirements for running on top of the engine.

The cheap stuff like at HF can handle up to 200degF, but one of the first reviews says it melted when using on spark plug wires. 200degF seems to be the common temp max for this stuff, and most of the stuff sold in the auto parts stores. Any suggestions on where to find higher temp stuff on the cheap?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Aaron,

No extra covering or protection here. The stock stuff on my '01 V6 lasted sixteen years before the wires began to break down. I replaced them. I don't think I'll have the car long enough to wear out the second set.

-David

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaron,

No extra covering or protection here. The stock stuff on my '01 V6 lasted sixteen years before the wires began to break down. I replaced them. I don't think I'll have the car long enough to wear out the second set.

-David
So your wires didn't come with any additional split loom/cover? I was sure I had black stuff, and I bought the car new. Weird. Not so sure now.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
mcmaster carr has a nylon (higher) temp split conduit duct p/n 2652k31 and or 2652k33 ,its a plated exterior ,but, they also make a plain nylon typ, not the low temp polyethelene, go to their site and search under "corrugated wrap around sleeving"

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mcmaster carr has a nylon (higher) temp split conduit duct p/n 2652k31 and or 2652k33 ,its a plated exterior ,but, they also make a plain nylon typ, not the low temp polyethelene, go to their site and search under "corrugated wrap around sleeving"
Thank you for the part#'s and search terms - helped a lot. Almost too many options. Wish someone sold small batches, locally. I'm sure as Dave pointed out, it's probably not necessary, but a little insurance is always good. I'm finally getting down to my car "to do" list that is borderline optional. What a concept. I'm sure a new major component failure awaits around the next bend ....

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have used the reflective on my B6 as engine sits sideways and some looms go near turbo.....on my 1.8 B5.5 used p/n 2569K91 series, as it is nylon and higher temp,as stated probably overkill.......but when done.....it's done.......not a rep for McMaster, lol, but I build and design special equipment shipped all over the US and by using a lot of stuff from them ,my customers are able to get pieces/parts super fast if something breaks,etc. Also being from rust belt ,have replaced as much as possible ,(fasteners), with stainless as they have huge inventory/selection

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used the reflective on my B6 as engine sits sideways and some looms go near turbo.....on my 1.8 B5.5 used p/n 2569K91 series, as it is nylon and higher temp,as stated probably overkill.......but when done.....it's done.......not a rep for McMaster, lol, but I build and design special equipment shipped all over the US and by using a lot of stuff from them ,my customers are able to get pieces/parts super fast if something breaks,etc. Also being from rust belt ,have replaced as much as possible ,(fasteners), with stainless as they have huge inventory/selection
Yes, in a former job I often ordered with McMaster, digikey, grainger, etc. Loved the selection, especially when I wasn't paying for shipping/parts. I used to live in a large city with a large specialty store down the next block. They carried a ton of (quality) equipment like they sell on those sites - I tried my best not to spend hours in there. I like doing a job as well as my ability allows - you know, "anal" good. So small seemingly incomplete things like this make the job feel incomplete. OCD! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts