Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking all over the forums for some info on where the spark plugs are on my 2001 1.8t. I've replaced plugs before but not on this car. Does someone have a description of where they are or a pic description for me. I don't have a bently manual and don't have the money right now to buy one so I don't want to pull wires on the engine for nothing and maybe make it worse.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
-- Eric

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Pull that plastic engine cover off...and it's very easy to recognize. :wink:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
You'll see 3 phillips head "quick release screws". Turn counterclockwise until they pop, and you can take 'em off.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm... no i meant under the cover are those 4 "plugs" with wires ... and I'm guessing you mean those are the spark plug wires, but I didn't just want to pull them without knowing how they come off... do they twist or pop out?

thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
I did mine Saturday night:

1) undo the three plastic screws on the engine cover, underneath you'll see 4 coil packs, each with a wire connecter on the passenger side.
2) undo the two (on our 2000 1.8T anyways) allen bolts (metric allen key required!) on each coil pack, pull it straight up - as you pull it straight up, you will see a long cylindrical rubber piece that goes into the head. You can disconnect the wires if you like (it was easier to pull the coil that way) by prying lightly on the left hand side of the connector.
3) look way down into the hole where the coil was and you'll see the plugs - a 6" extension and a spark plug socket will reach, if your socket doesn't have a rubber boot you'll also need a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the spark plug out of the hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts