Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
078 906 601 D
Replaced under warranty with kombi valve by those biatches at Ellacott-Shaker... I think the service copy said two hundred something for the pump, but the major charge (to VW) was labor
 

·
Founder of the STFA
Joined
·
8,667 Posts
Check for used, probably can get one for around $200, some even offer a year warranty. I don't think these are really notorious for failure, but a used one at 80K miles should probably get you enough over 100K miles to not worry about it. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Do you need one? Are you sure this is the ailing part? VAG COM should thorw a code I would think. Could be a simple vacuum leak in the hose going to the combi valve.

16795 - secondary air injection system - Incorrect Flow Detected
or
P0411 - secondary air injection system incorrect flow detected
Might pop up in a vag com I think. See the post below.

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?forumID=55&threadID=6880
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Yeah, I just had the same issue with the first code danteshors described. All I did was replace the hose the connects to the combination valve and the code went away in a week and the car suddenly passed inspection.

The hose that I replaced crumbled in my hand when I was removing it, further proof of it's failure. If this hose is bad, the emissions readiness check on the VAG will say the secondary air injection pump in inoperable.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
BoostedPassat said:
Yeah, I just had the same issue with the first code danteshors described. All I did was replace the hose the connects to the combination valve and the code went away in a week and the car suddenly passed inspection.

The hose that I replaced crumbled in my hand when I was removing it, further proof of it's failure. If this hose is bad, the emissions readiness check on the VAG will say the secondary air injection pump in inoperable.

Hope this helps.
wow, i've had this problem ever since i installed my supercharger. I was pulling the same code - Secondary Air Injection: Insufficient Flow. I'm going to try replacing all of the old vac hoses, especially because they're all twisted and stretched in order to accommodate the supercharger. hopefully this will work, because it's been bothering me for 7 months. thanks for the advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
vwfool2000 said:
Yeah, where exactly is the combi valve? Would it failing cause your car to run lean?
The combination valve is directly behind the engine almost right against the firewall. It is a silver, round looking object with a vacuum hose coming out of the driver side of the valve.

The lack of vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator is what causes the car to run lean. I had a code that said that bank 1 was lean, and this turned out to be the vacuum hose that goes just over the back of the motor to the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure regulator is at the back of the fuel rail. The hose on mine was bad - it was one of those crappy cloth covered hoses that fails prematurely due to its inability to handle heat - replace them with silicon hose if you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up replacing both the kombi valve and the secondary pump--CEL still came back.

BoostedPassat: What's at the other end of that vacuum hose leading to the fuel pressure regulator? Did you get code 17536 for your lean condition in bank 1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
The insufficient flow sympton may be caused by the injection pump relay.

My wife's car's secondary injection pump would come on sporadically, even after she shut off the engine. The code I read was insuffiencent flow. Since the pump sounded ok, I traced the circuit back to the relay. I examined the relay and found that the contacts were sort of burnt and was not making 100% contact (thus the sporadic on off thing, the other side of the relay is connected directly to the battery +). I reconditioned the contacts with fine sand paper and made sure the contacts were not sticky. Voila! That fixed the problem. I then cleared the code and it never came back.

So, I just saved mucho bucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
JDigga said:
I ended up replacing both the kombi valve and the secondary pump--CEL still came back.

BoostedPassat: What's at the other end of that vacuum hose leading to the fuel pressure regulator? Did you get code 17536 for your lean condition in bank 1?
The other end of the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator is just a point on the intake where a lot of vacuum hoses are attached. If you replaced them both then, can you hear the secondary pump running in the morning when the car is cold?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
What does the SAIP sound like? I am having the same problem but I have not replaced the one vac hose against the firewall (this is not the 4 or 5 inch one). I am also getting misfires in all cylinders when i start up, could this be caused by the vac hoses or the pump going out?
 

·
Loose female member
Joined
·
4,889 Posts
ywang98 said:
The insufficient flow sympton may be caused by the injection pump relay.

My wife's car's secondary injection pump would come on sporadically, even after she shut off the engine. The code I read was insuffiencent flow. Since the pump sounded ok, I traced the circuit back to the relay. I examined the relay and found that the contacts were sort of burnt and was not making 100% contact (thus the sporadic on off thing, the other side of the relay is connected directly to the battery +). I reconditioned the contacts with fine sand paper and made sure the contacts were not sticky. Voila! That fixed the problem. I then cleared the code and it never came back.

So, I just saved mucho bucks!
Don't you just love VW owners :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top