Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Sources for serial cable for window up/down mod

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jonlowe 
#1 ·
I bought a 409 serial cable from two different sources and each time they sent me a USB one - apparently both suppliers can't get the serial anymore.

I'd really like to mod the ccm with VDS pro but I can't get a hold of a serial cable. If anyone knows where I can get one please chime in. (if you live in the SF bay area and have one, feel free to PM me).

Thanks,
Nick.

#2 ·
#4 ·
Jon, thank you. I had high hopes for that program too but it doesn't support the CCM on my car (2000 GLS).

One of the cables I ordered was shipped from HK also ... I guess I can try these guys ...

Anyone in the bay area with a serial cable and thirsty for some good beer?

#5 ·
Yeah, they've been promising an update to that program for over a year now. I have a 2005 GLS, and it works fine on that.

I know the cable I got from the ebay source works. A lot of people try a straight thru OBDII serial cable with nothing inside, and that won't work. It HAS to be an old style VAG-com cable. A guy on here had a DIY circuit that I tried, but I never got it to work. Once I got the cable listed, VDS-Pro worked fine. It is finicky though. Try the cable with the shareware version of VCDS first. If it works with that, it should work with VDS-Pro with a REAL serial port. VDS-Pro won't work with a USB-serial adapter cable, and it won't work with a serial PCMCIA card in a laptop, unless you have a rare-as-hens-teeth PCMCIA card that has true DOS drivers. And it won't work in a DOS window in Windows.

I've gotten VDS-Pro to work with a Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook, a Dell D400 laptop, and a Dell 600M laptop, booting to DOS. All of them have true serial ports that work under DOS. The Dell D400's and the 600M's are cheap on ebay if you get desparate. I make a separate partition on my harddrive, and boot to Dos using the Windows boot manager. The start up CD's that make a virtual drive, usually R:\, I've found to be finicky. But if you can make the CD work, usually use of VDS-Pro is a one time deal, as I've found no other use for it on my car. It doesn't even connect to other modules. VCDS works great for all other uses.

I don't know why VCDS doesn't incorporate this functionality in their system. They have write capabilities to all of the other control units, and there is no reason their hardware can't do it if older VAG-com cables with VDS-Pro can do it. They provide the functionality with later model control units, such as Sportwagens.

Good luck.

Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.