Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint behind my driver’s front wheel has come away. About eight years ago I had this section repaired after rust bubbled up, and it’s been fine, until now. The passenger side is okay, oddly.

I used rust remedy to clear the surface rust in prep for prime and paint, clearly I need to do it again and sand before I prime. My code is LB7Z. Can someone recommend a single application touch up paint source that ships to Canada? I’d rather no spend on a pricey clear coat spray.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The paint behind my driver’s front wheel has come away. About eight years ago I had this section repaired after rust bubbled up, and it’s been fine, until now. The passenger side is okay, oddly.

View attachment 100432

I used rust remedy to clear the surface rust in prep for prime and paint, clearly I need to do it again and sand before I prime. My code is LB7Z. Can someone recommend a single application touch up paint source that ships to Canada? I’d rather no spend on a pricey clear coat spray.
Uh oh.

It is rusting from the inside out.

Take off the wheel well liner in that area and clean all the gunk out from inside there. Leaves and seeds and stuff get stuck there and build up causing the unpainted inside to be in constant contact with wet debris.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Find a local auto body and paint supply store, I go to a place that mixes and puts the paint in a spray can. It was far better quality and match and I think cheaper than the stuff I have used from online and Auto Boyz type stores

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh oh.

It is rusting from the inside out.

Take off the wheel well liner in that area and clean all the gunk out from inside there. Leaves and seeds and stuff get stuck there and build up causing the unpainted inside to be in constant contact with wet debris.
No doubt. It’s 21 years old in Canadian salt and grime. I get it Krown Coated every year or so, but still, underneath it’s the colour of red brick. I’ll pull off the splash guards and that lower trim piece to have a look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a Canadian supplier,

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Are Satin silver or reflex silver? either way look at cleaning and fixing the area first and foremost.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh oh.

It is rusting from the inside out
The rust is not perforation but only surface because the paint fell off. I had this section rebuilt and painted about six years ago and the replacement paint has finally given away. I'll still clean behind, but important to note it's not perforation from the backside.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have your paint code, (which is in the door jamb I think), I ordered off of Amazon for my blue anthricite pearl 02 passat a spray can kit. The kit came with a primer, base and clear for 50$. The company is spectral paints. I had to replace one of the trunk hinges which came bare metal. I also cleaned up the area around the attachment points and resprayed those too. You can't tell it's not an original to the car part, or paint job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have your paint code, (which is in the door jamb I think), I ordered off of Amazon for my blue anthricite pearl 02 passat a spray can kit. The kit came with a primer, base and clear for 50$. The company is spectral paints. I had to replace one of the trunk hinges which came bare metal. I also cleaned up the area around the attachment points and resprayed those too. You can't tell it's not an original to the car part, or paint job.
I'm almost finished the job. I used a regular Tremclad rattle can primer, and got a perfect code match can with premium atomizer from Manufacturer of Automotive Paint and Body Repair Products - RobertsPaintCare.com

I still need to spray the clear coat, and scrape off some paint that got past my tape onto the black plastic side trim but I'm impressed so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts