Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in a while and I think it is because everything has been going good with my car.

Well I am back with an unusual problem, it may not even be a problem.
I don't drive the Passt daily, my wife does, she told me it sounds like we have another boost leak.

I go drive the car and sure enough sounds like it. Start checking hoses and vac lines, nothing. Break out the Vagcom and vagcom say fuel trims are were they have always been. -1.7 and -11, this is were my trims have been for the longest. So this isn't it.

Well before it was a must to get into the boost to keep with normal traffic from stop lights or from a stop. Not that traffic is hauling ass, its just how my car ran. It always felt like something was holding it back. Now something has happened without me doing anything. Now she is so eager to run you have to watch yourself or you will be making 10 pounds before you know it. I make 3psi more boost now then before, 24psi. Also, the spot were boost would come in has change drasticly. I don't know how to describe it, but it is freakin touchy now as before you could ease into it and stop the boost at 4psi if you wanted, not once you get to that point were you start to make boost it climbs like you went WOT and your are not WOT. It makes more boost then AWE told me it should make.

Logged a few thing with Vagcom on a WOT run, I am pulling timing bad and it gets progressively worse as I upshift. 1st pulls a little,2nd more, 3rd she is pulling like 10 and then I get scared and pull out of it. She pings a little and then you feel the retard kick in.

I don't know whats up, she runs bad ass, better then she ever has, but she has never started to ping or pull this much timing.

I know I didn't provide much information, but I don't really know what is going on.

Any thought?

K04, PC16, 30lb, High Flow Cat and 2.5" ex

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I'm not sure if I read your specs correctly; are you making 30psi of boost? And you're letting your wife drive it? Damn; what did you do to get that kind of boost?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
I think your wastegate has stuck closed, or more likely your N75 has stuck closed which accomplishes the same thing.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I think your wastegate has stuck closed, or more likely your N75 has stuck closed which accomplishes the same thing.
Try logging MB 119 for WG duty cycle and see if it's pegged.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
What octane rating do you normally use? Maybe your wife put a lower rating in hence the pinging.
What? You mean there's a difference? That other one costs more.:D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn, you guys are on it. wasn't expecting to see so much activity, I really appreciate it.

Haven't logged 119, but I will make a log of it tonight. As for the MAF readings, I got reading all the way up to 187g/s. Timing pull get greater the longer I run it. Probably heatsoaking my crappy intercooler.

I will be swapping out the N75, got a spare, to see if that makes a diff.

I got the excell file if anyone wants to take a look, but have no way to host it. I can email it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a similar problem (though my car is standard). Mine happed real sudden, like something either popped or got bunged up and it's been a problem ever since.
I've disconnected the electrics to my N75 valve to try to limit boost but it's still boosting loads. VAGCOM says I'm overboosting. I can hear something that sounds like a boost leak building before the car starts cutting out (I guess ECU is protecting engine). Just tickle the throttle and it's boost boost boost, much more than before. Too much to be healthy for my standard 1.8T K03 on 150K miles :(

I've replaced various vac lines, the diverter valve and had the turbo out to test the wastegate so far. N75 is my next stop but doesn't explain the noise I hear.
Had it a few months so far as I'm really struggling to track down the problem :(

Be interested to hear how you go with the N75 swap. I don't think mine is 'stuck closed' as I've had it out and blown through each tube in turn and air always comes out of both the remaining tubes

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What octane rating do you normally use? Maybe your wife put a lower rating in hence the pinging.
My wife knows all about our car, she installed the turbo. She knows better then to put anything less then 93 octane in.

I solved the problem with all your help. The vac/boost line coming off the compressor housing going to the N75 had a big hole in it. VW and their damn vac hoses with different ID on either side. Did you know that AutoZone doesn't carry that shit! I made it work with AutoZone vac line. Was tempted to throw the boost controller on there set to 18psi just for the super quick spool. Anyway.

Haven't driven it yet, but I know its fixed. Will get back to you guys tomorrow with an update. And BTW, there ain't no measuring block 119. I have seen the wastegate block before but I couldn't find it tonight.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I solved the problem with all your help. The vac/boost line coming off the compressor housing going to the N75 had a big hole in it. VW and their damn vac hoses with different ID on either side. Did you know that AutoZone doesn't carry that shit! I made it work with AutoZone vac line. Was tempted to throw the boost controller on there set to 18psi just for the super quick spool. Anyway.

Haven't driven it yet, but I know its fixed. Will get back to you guys tomorrow with an update. And BTW, there ain't no measuring block 119. I have seen the wastegate block before but I couldn't find it tonight.
I get a MB 119, probably another AEB vs later MY difference. F4 of MB 119 is boost pressure and since an AEB has no boost sensor then.................

I patched that vac line using two size hoses with a reducer spliced in the middle. Anything that seals will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what did you use to clamp the hoses to the nipple on the compressor housing and nipple of the gate actuator?

I didn't pay attention when I pulled the small hoses off and when I went back on with them I must have installed them backwards, now we only have 7psi, lol. Simple mistake.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
what did you use to clamp the hoses to the nipple on the compressor housing and nipple of the gate actuator?

I didn't pay attention when I pulled the small hoses off and when I went back on with them I must have installed them backwards, now we only have 7psi, lol. Simple mistake.
Heat resistant zip ties, tefzel. Easy on, easy off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts