Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of removing the throttle body on my 2002 ATQ 2.8 when I suddenly got the definite smell of gasoline. I knew I broke something. After getting all the lines disconnected and free, I saw what I broke.

This is the breather tube that goes from directly under the throttle body to the elbow below the "hockey puck" PCV valve.
Does anyone know the proper name for this part and where I could purchase just this?; the rest of the system is intact and clean .
As usual, a relatively simple weekend project gets extended.

Thanks for any help offered.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
That plastic hose will break just looking at it to hard.

That's a good number, but make sure of your VIN#. They had at least 3 revisions of the PCV system on the V6.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Revisions : I am finding that out the hard way. I pulled off the heater core hoses and found out that the one I bought was #8D0819371H, while the one I removed was #8D0819371BB. And of course, the # was hidden from view while installed. Not even close.
But, the breather hose # was prominent, so at least I know that will fit.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Since that one broke I would be replacing all the others even if they look clean and in good shape. I assume they all have gone through the same life cycle as the one you're replacing.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I forgot to mention, back in my early days of ownership, that same hose had broke on both ends. I remember clutching the left side of my chest when I saw the price of it for the first time.
I'll admit, I 'repaired' it with black electrical tape and drove the car for months before I finally caved and just bought a new one from ECS Tuning.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,741 Posts
I'd check ebay or amazon for an aftermarket replacement. Did so with my SAIP piping. $15 for both and fit well with a little grunting. Some may be crap and some may be good. I see it as the Harbor Freight of parts replacement decisions. Even if you buy 3 sets over the years, it may still be cheaper than one OEM part. I'm stubborn that way with non critical parts.

Like this?

Half the price of even the ECS aftermarket part.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the days of buying OEM for my old gal are over, unless I have no choice.
This is the one I bought : $10

Unfortunately, the heater core inlet hose has no such aftermarket; I had to go with this: $48
I first bought this set, hoping it was correct - unfortunately no. $28

1 - 9 of 9 Posts