Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ride close enough to a line of trees or anything sound bounces off, I can hear something squeaking/squealing. It's on the drivers side. It sounds like something in the tires. I can't tell if it's front or rear, but if I were to guess, I would say it's coming from the rear. This happens when I'm driving and not during braking.

Any ideas? :???:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The brake pads have built in acoustical wear mark. When the pads get down to certain size, you will get faint squeak with each rotation. Maybe the time for pad change. And yes, it is not sounding when braking.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boris said:
The brake pads have built in acoustical wear mark. When the pads get down to certain size, you will get faint squeak with each rotation. Maybe the time for pad change. And yes, it is not sounding when braking.
Thanks Boris :)

I wouldn't doubt the brakes are an issue. I'll have it checked.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This can also happen when the rotors are warped slightly. You may still have some pad life, but when the rotors warp they contact the pad slightly and on every rotation...so you get a squeak noise, that sounds like a rotation, and stops when depressing the brake pedal.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is the squeak a
a) constant squeak? or
b)an intermittant one? like "squeak....squeak....squeak..." as you roll along?

If it's a), then what check what Boris suggested, if b), could be a rock/stone in the tire treads, or little particle stuck in the brake pad.. check for scoring marks on the rotor..

Mike :)

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C.J said:
Is the squeak a
a) constant squeak? or
b)an intermittant one? like "squeak....squeak....squeak..." as you roll along?

If it's a), then what check what Boris suggested, if b), could be a rock/stone in the tire treads, or little particle stuck in the brake pad.. check for scoring marks on the rotor..

Mike :)
I would say it's more like (B)

But I did have my rotors cut vs. replaced during my last pad replacement. So maybe they are warped or something :???:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.