Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my Suburban, which I drive once or twice a week and the gas gauge was way down. I had only driven it 13 miles after filling it and the gauge was reading ~3/4 tank. In a 1994 Suburban it doesn't even get down to the "F" mark until you have driven 75 miles.

I have a locking gas cap, but they picked the lock. They left the cap just sitting on the filler neck. I think they were planning to come back later to get some more. At first I was ready to install a locking fuel filler door, but after reading about it, it seems like the alternative may be worse: drilled gas tank, cut filler neck, etc. So I ordered another security camera to monitor the spot where the Suburban is parked. My other cars are already covered by DVR cameras.

Anybody have any experience with this issue? Any other suggestions?

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
That sucks, but with it being mid April and gas prices are already $5 a gallon range, I can't say I am surprised. It seems like the best defense in this case is to leave the tank nearly empty. If you can't secure the car, at least you will be able to secure gasoline in your building.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Another thought, would it be possible to wire up an electrical charge that would active/deactivate with the door locks? That would be fantastic if you could wire up a charge so that if someone put a screwdriver/metal on the door lock, they receive a nice jolt of energy. Then again that might be a terrible idea considering that is near the entry to the gas tank...

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really conflicted on this one. I try to keep all of my tanks full. Some weird sense of security. The problem is that my Suburban is parked at my shop, which is across the street from the homeless services center. Lots of freeloaders living in RVs who can't afford gas. I have a pretty strong hunch that it was the thrashed old Winnebago full of college dropouts that was parked on the street in front of my shop Sunday morning.

My solution at this point is to install two more DVR security cameras so there are no dead spots. Everybody in this neighborhood has their own rap sheet. Nobody is anonymous. I have already nailed two guys urinating at my back door that were caught on camera.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Purchase or borrow a dash cam, or one of those hunter / outdoor cameras that takes pictures with motion activation. Leave a nice small note inside the fuel filler door that says " you got me once, but now I got you!"

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of setting up my GoPro aimed out the back window. I'm trying to decide if I want to lose more gas to catch them or take measures to stop it from happening again. My best preventive method at this point.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Now you know how you can utilize some of that excrement you wrote about in your previous thread...

·
Registered
320 Posts
The only bad thing about making it harder to get to, is that the potential thief might resort to cutting the fuel filler pipe, or shanking (drilling) the tank to get what they want. Hopefully, they will see the level of difficulty jump up and move to another target.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
are you by limekiln st? i notice alot of crack head meth addicts hanging around that area often. i had no idea people still siphon gas. thats disgusting and you seriously gotta be a crack head to do that.

my co-worker left his car at our machine shop overnight last year because the alternator went out. he came back to work the next morning and his car was on wooden blocks with no wheels on it.
people do desperate things to get money for drugs, its sad.

i hope you catch the bastards on camera, and maybe can have the police find them. this kind of stuff pisses me off.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you by limekiln st? i notice alot of crack head meth addicts hanging around that area often. i had no idea people still siphon gas. thats disgusting and you seriously gotta be a crack head to do that.

my co-worker left his car at our machine shop overnight last year because the alternator went out. he came back to work the next morning and his car was on wooden blocks with no wheels on it.
people do desperate things to get money for drugs, its sad.

i hope you catch the bastards on camera, and maybe can have the police find them. this kind of stuff pisses me off.
I'm right around the corner from Limekiln. Literally across the street from homeless services. This morning I caught a guy on camera urinating on my wife's tire. He was scoping out the inside of the car the whole time, but we don't keep anything of any value inside. Otherwise he probably would have broken in, at which point I would have had to decide how to disable him until the cops arrived.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
that area is full of meth heads and bums. its a shame they are doing this to your business and your personal property.
the SCPD need to do a cleanup of that area. i've seen people smoking crack in broad daylight without a care in the world.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I bet they cared deeply.

Cared when/how they would score the next baggie of rocks.
haha i've seen how happy crackheads get when they score a baggie. i was in san francisco's tenderloin district and saw a crack head score a sack and he started doing a dance and spinning around and singing down the sidewalk. wish i grabbed my phone and recorded it. next time ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
i'd set up a blind, and wait, wait for them to come again. I would light them up with pellets, paintballs, or those smelly riot control paintballs.... but i guess that would cause retaliation too. Just get the motherfuckers face on camera, and tell the cops they'll handle it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that area is full of meth heads and bums. its a shame they are doing this to your business and your personal property.
the SCPD need to do a cleanup of that area. i've seen people smoking crack in broad daylight without a care in the world.
Heroin hub for northern California right here. Sketchy folks all over this place.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
i'd set up a blind, and wait, wait for them to come again. I would light them up with pellets, paintballs, or those smelly riot control paintballs.... but i guess that would cause retaliation too. Just get the motherfuckers face on camera, and tell the cops they'll handle it.
These are meth-heads we are talking about, they don't stop for bullets, much less paintballs. Keep parking your truck with the filler against the wall and you'll be fine(despite their energy, they don't like to put alot of effort into something if they can get what they are after elsewhere), don't waste time or energy trying to do anything else with these people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts