Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have changed the transmission fluid on the car yourself, including the fliter change? Did you have a lift or did you use four jack stands? Was it a PITA or simply time consuming? What fluid did you use? Would you do it again yourself, or would you get it done by a shop?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I would need to purchase a few things as well if I want to do it. I've been asking around and everyone is charging around $200 to replace the filter and replace the fluid with the pentosin stuff. I guess I have to think about it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When drivers say " i need to have it done" is it something that really needs to be done w/ the auto/tiptronic trannies? I have 174k on my 1999 1.8t tip-- (knock on wood) but my tranny never missed a beat, nor shows any 'symptoms' of stress or any of that sort.
I would like to learn though if there are professional places that will change the tranny fluid for our cars- w/in VW's specifications.

E

·
Registered
92 Posts
If they use VW approved fluid and replace the filter, that's nearly $100 in just parts. If they can do it for $200, that's probably a great deal.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I say "i need to have it done" mostly for my own personal reassurance. I feel like that if I change it I'm prolonging the life of the tranny. It may last for 174k without issues, but maybe with a change out it'd last longer :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Passat713 - I certainly wouldn't consider an ATF change a difficult task. It's actually quite simple. The key is that you have to take your time and do it correctly. The critical thing is that you have to accurately measure the fluid temp. while filling it up to ensure you have the correct amount of fluid in there. To do this you would be best to order the VAG device which is made for this task. It's not like other cars where you would have a dipstick or something simple to check the level. You also can't really use the amount of fluid you drain out as a reference as the factory has been known to underfill or overfill at times. Aside from that, it's a pretty simple process. Level car on jackstands, remove drain plug, remove check/fill plug, remove pan torx bolts (sometimes corroded), remove old filter, put on new filter, clean and replace pan, replace drain plug, fill with fluid (per proper procedure) and you are good-to-go. It really made a world of difference in the way my car shifts - much smoother and better accelleration too. FYI - I used Redline D4. Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,509 Posts
I had my local German car indy change the fluid on the 1996 Audi A4 (essentially the same 5-speed ZF box, without the manual override shift gate) for about $300. I believe in changing the fluid every 60k mi / 100k km (more often for city driving and less often for mostly highway cruising in top gear). To me, the toughest issue is safely elevating the car perfectly horizontally. I have DIYed several ATF + filter "pan-drop" changes in American cars, but the tip's lamentable lack of a dipstick takes the project to the next higher "level," so to speak.

___
*I should have excavated a mechanic's pit when I buit the new garage 15 years ago. :)

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I need this done too and was quoted a couple hours labor and a $100 in 4 qts of fluid (about $300 total as someone said above)...but that it with replacing the gasket (as he would drop the trans pan), replacing the filter too. Not bad I don't think at all. oh and that's just a quicky flush, if a FULL flush has to be done it takes about 9 qts of fluid.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,509 Posts
And we need to clean the magnets off in there, too, I believe?
That's one justification for the full pan drop, instead of a quickie bleed-and-fill. The one nice thing about these transmissions is that they have a drain plug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts