Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished off two of the engine covers in white. I think I would like to make the stripe in the big one blue. Now that I feel more comfortable with the paint, I will attack some of the little covers and the intake duct.

The white is not a perfect match to the badge, but it is the same paint that I am using for rotors/calipers. The gloss level is great, and the color depth is also very good. I think there are about 8 light coats on there over grey primer.

Tonight, I will be attacking my new Powerdiscs for the front. Wheels need to be changed, so the squeaky front brakes can go, too. :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
what paint do you use? how much sanding/prep? and how do you/do you remove the vw symbol, 1.8t and the black piece its on AND the insulation stuff?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Excellent Kathy. If you had the time for a write-up on this for the Info Forum that would be great! I know you posted some of the details in the past. But I would like to paint my engine covers too and having some guidelines would be great so I don't mess it up.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Jesstzn's method with a bit of modification.

Remove VW badge. I left the insulation stuff on.

Sand liberally with 400 and then 600 wet. This is not to detexturize, but to give the paint some fresh surface. I actually did the wet sanding and the washing at the same time - used soapy water for the sanding stage. Then I wiped down with a tack cloth. I did not solvent wipe the panels, although if you can find real bodyshop prep solvent (Prepsol) I would recommend it. I masked off with regular masking tape that I had in the garage.

I primered the parts after they dried with Duplicolor Grey Primer. Just enough to provide a solid grey coat and provide a good bed for the white. I hit it with the hair dryer a bit. I followed the recommendations for the primer as far as waiting to recoat.

I lightly sanded the primer with 600 and tacked it down. I heated up the parts a bit by bringing them inside. I then started with light coats of Duplicolor Universal Engine White. This is a high heat paint which I am using for my calipers. Eventually I built up the white to a solid color and it looked great. I should have stopped there.

I tried to clear coat it, but I was too fast on the recoat and buckled the paint. Additionally, the clear coat imparted a yellowish tinge which I decided was not good. This would probably not be noticeable on a color other than white.

So I sanded down the bad spots with 320, 400, and 600, and let the covers sit for a whole week. I resanded with 600 all over and started to paint. Two light coats with hair dryer action and one heavy coat with extra hair dryer action front and back. Let sit over night and re-install. :)

There is still one spot that doesn't look perfect - you can just barely see where the wrinkles were. If I get off my butt, I will fill it in and give it a respray.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Looks great .. glad it is all working out for you .. post pix when finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Jesstzn
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing